Colour flow chart

Moderator: Mods

sarah23

Colour flow chart

Post by sarah23 »

Hi all,
I've been reading and researching quite a lot lately about all the different colours ringnecks can produce and honestly some makes perfect sense other stuff just confuses me like the rules with gender-linked, single factors, double factors, split colours etc....
I was hoping someone out there had some easy-to-follow flow chart labelling all colour mutations and even a photo to show the correct colours??
If not, maybe i could have a go at making one and get people to check/correct it :)
thanks!
rod038

Re: Colour flow chart

Post by rod038 »

There are some books out that explain it.

Asiatic Parrots and their Mutations by Bastiaan is probably the best and has the most examples and comes closest to what you are talking about. It is over 500 pages so you can see there are alot of combinations.

The Indian Ringneck Breeders Handbook by Phil Robson is another that goes into some detail.

There are 3 types of genetic inheritance . Recessive eg - Blue, Cleartail. Sex Linked eg - Lutino (Sex Linked), Lacewing (Pallid), Cinnamon, Opaline. Dominant. Then within Dominant there are Incomplete Dominance eg - European Cobalt and True Dominance eg - Grey Green, Violet Green. These are the birds which can be Double Factors.

In Bastiaans book he has 19 primary Mutations listed and that doesnt include the Parblues. Then there are all the mutation combinations. eg Albino is the sex linked Lutino combined with the recessive Blue. Grey is the Dominat Grey Green combined with the recessive Blue and so on.
sarah23

Re: Colour flow chart

Post by sarah23 »

cool thanks for the reply :) i have the second book mentioned it's ok... it's quite basic but helps with some mutations. i might try to find the other book with 500 pages i'll have a fair bit to keep me busy.
thanks again :)