how do i get latino??

Moderator: Mods

usman

how do i get latino??

Post by usman »

hey guyz just want to ask hw can i hv latino irn chicks? wat mutation of IRN can i buy to get latino ? ncz i dont knw how to use mutation chart/calculator...guide me plz thnx
Lushen1600

Re: how do i get latino??

Post by Lushen1600 »

What ringnecks do you have at present to work with?

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
usman

Post by usman »

Well i was having blue male n white female but i sold them n nw i want suggestions if any1 guide me hw can i get latino chick? frm ur suggestions i vl buy a pair frm which i can get latino..thnx
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Well seeing that you don't have any birds, your best bet would be to buy a pair of Lutino Ringnecks to get Lutino chicks, but I know that the lutino females are easy to find but males seem at times hard to come by.

There are several other options to get some lutino chicks in a clutch but I would suggest that you look around first to see what is for sale and before buying post here so that you can get help with regards to information before buying, also don't forget to get the genetic history of both the bird you would like to purchase as well as the parents of the bird so that you can get the proper information of the splits the bird will be carrying as well as the chances of getting a lutino chick with the bird in question.

To give you an example, I also like lutino ringnecks, in fact any yellow bird looks good, so when I was looking for a pair last year I found it hard to get a lutino male, so I purchased a Green split ino male instead and paired it with a lutino female. The Green split ino male is basically a visually green male which has the hidden or split ino gene in hime to give to some lutino chicks when mated to a lutino female. The Green split ino male came from a green male to a lutino female from the previous breeder.
The results according to the calculator are as follows

1.0 green /ino
x 0.1 ino
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 green /ino
50.0% 1.0 ino
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 ino
50.0% 0.1 green

So as you can see from the calculator you supposed to get 50% visual green and 50% visual lutino in both sexes

When mine mated last year, she laid 5 eggs on their first round but only 2 hatch as the other three had hairline cracks and went bad. Of the 2 chicks that hatched 1 was a lutino and the other was a green, not sure of their sexes cos they got sold out the box. On their second round she laid 4 eggs but all were infertile. Waiting for this year to see what they do.

So go around looking to see what's available and post here before buying to get advice so that you get the correct birds to get some lutino chicks.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
jarreds mutations

Post by jarreds mutations »

if you breed two ino's with each other you will get smaller birds but if its a split ino you will get normal sized chicks :)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Jarred

That is not neccessarily true regarding the mating of 2 ino's together. I know someone who breeds them and the babies come out beautifully. I bought my male from him this year. He is big and beautiful. I have paired him to a lutino female, although not by choice I will admit. I was hoping he would pair to a blue lacewing female but she didn't want anything to do with him. The female lutino I have paired with him is a big bird. He is only marginally smaller.

Regards
Carmen
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Jarred I second that, cos I know a lot of breeders who breed two sexlinked birds and have good healthy babies of average size, the breeder I got my male ino from had 2 pairs of ino x ino, the first pair laid and hatched 6 chicks first round and 5 chicks second round. The second pair laid and hatched 5 chicks first round and 5 chicks second round. Even my grey pallid female comes from 2 sexlinked parents, blue pallid x grey pallid and there's no problems with her, she I almost the same size as the male

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
jarreds mutations

Post by jarreds mutations »

oh well the guy at the pet shop is lying to me haha he said if i put two inos with each other i would get smaller birds because its a genetic thing :/ lol im only new to the INR'S so yeah im trying to find out as much as possible. so yeah i might just stick to here fo the information :)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Jarred

I have been breeding ringnecks for 4yrs now. Have had IRN's in my life for almost 9yrs(Biscuit, my handreared joy and naughty pain in the behind at times IRN). I have only started looking into the genetic/mutation side of things from this year. I am still learning something new every day and I am by no means an expert.
Every breeder I talk to has a difference of opinion in one thing or another, or tell me to do something different. Some of the things I take into consideration while others I don't. If things are working, if the birds are happy, healthy and breeding well for me I don't see why I should change my style or methods- unless the info given makes sense and could help in the long run. I am open to help, advice etc because you will always learn something, but i also get the opinion of many people to find out who is talking nonsense and who isn't.
I have read that breeding 2 ino's together can affect eyesight in a previous post somewhere on the forum, but the breeder who said this said they were unsure if this still applied in IRN's today.
I have not seen this problem in any of my ino's that I have bought in, have they adapted to having imperfect vision? OR is their sight perfectly normal? I could not honestly answer this for you as I cannot see through their eyes.
As to their sizes, they look like normal, average size ringnecks to me.
I have seen a breeder who has bred father to daughter(I personally do not agree with that line of things, but, to each their own) and the young IRN has come out smaller, feathers have not developed properly and cannot fly.
I am sorry if I offend anyone in this post, it was not intentional as I think a lot of mutations have been acheived through this method, or I could stand to be corrected, either way.

Regards
Carmen
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Hi Jarred, the guy from the pet shop isn't lying. His information may simply be a bit outdated (specifically for ino). The statement of ino x ino was certainly very true in the early 90's when I was still breeding with ino. I still won't do it, even if it isn't strictly true anymore. And it is also still true with newer mutations like some of the fallows (clearheads and bronze). I have also seen some tiny opaline cocks at auctions (even a recent 2012 one), which is also a newer sex-linked mutation. I'm unsure whether we are getting better breeding results from the older mutations because they have been repeatedly bred to new genetic lines (i.e. repeatedly bred to non-ino's to create splits from which new ino's are bred). But it certainly sounds like a plausible explanation. Remember, when establishing a newer mutation, a certain amount of inbreeding is necessary. But once the mutation is established, you want to repeatedly breed split birds by introducing new genetic material, i.e. birds that have never been bred in that line. This is, for example, what we are currently doing with our bronzefallows, which is a rather difficult mutation to breed with, just like ino was 20 years ago.

Carmen, you might be referring to an old post of mine. The situation with the eye-sight of ino's might improve slightly over the years with the introduction of new genetic material. But when taking into considering that the ino mutation removes 95+% of the melanin, even from the eyes (that is why they are red), I think that the situation will never be ideal for the IRN. New genetic material will not help much for a mutation where you specifically introduce such a major defect. On the topic of inbreeding, the genetics of the ringneck is rather stable. People make the mistake of associating inbreeding ringnecks with inbreeding humans, where the results are mostly catastrophic. In a large community aviary, you will often find a father choosing a daughter, when many other females are available. If you are into mutation breeding, you unfortunately have to accept the fact that inbreeding occurs. I, however, agree fully with you that, when not necessary, it shouldn't be done.

Here is a very important thing: when you walk into an aviary and see badly feathered birds, especially young ones, your first diagnosis should not be of inbreeding, but rather PBFD. This is a MUCH bigger problem than inbreeding.

Edit: I re-read this reply. Just to clarify, I think the situation with the ino eyesight will never improve with the introduction of new genetic material. The situation with the small, weak chicks, might.
Last edited by Johan S on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thanks Johan, that was insightful. I had never thought of looking at it that way, so I have now learnt something new.
I think what frustrated me a little with the other breeder was the fact that the mutation he had been trying to achieve was readily available on the market and had been for some time, and the sight of the poor little thing was heartbreaking and I had never seen something like that before in my life.
I admit, I don't think I am ready to take that step into the world of mutation breeding and for now I will stick with the mutations already acheived. Maybe one day, a more adventurous side of me will want to delve deeper. I do find it interesting though, and I welcome any info given.

Regards
Carmen
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Johan, I have a quick question regarding the offspring from that pair and the PBFD.
I know PBFD affects feathers, beak and feet. What could be the cause of the bird being the size of a 5week old IRN when it was roughly 4-5months old? The lacking of full feather stucture making it look smaller perhaps or maybe it wasn't eating properly(although its beak looked strong and healthy, it was climbing all over the avairy and hanging upside down from the top)?

Thanks
Carmen
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Carmen, sometimes things just go wrong, unfortunately. Whether Nature still experiments, or a nutritional imbalance exists, or some other external factor(s), us mere mortals will often be left without answers.

As an example, I used to breed peach face and masked lovebirds as well (many moons ago!). In '96 a pair threw a lutino chick with red pied markings. It would have been an incredibly beautiful bird, had it not been for the fact that the one leg didn't develop properly and the chick was very weak. I pulled it for handrearing when the siblings started to completely dominate the nest. It developed at about half the rate of the others, and died at between 4 and 5 weeks of age not even fully feathered, but enough to see that it would have been something spectacular. I continued breeding with the parents for some years, but never had such "luck" again. The parents raised many healthy chicks during the time I had them, and no others with the red pied markings.

Another thing we should also perhaps distinguish, is small, healthy birds, and small, weak birds. I have never seen IRNs in the wild, but have heard from people that have that there is a distinct difference in size between colonies of birds from the north and south of India. Obviously the birds are all healthy, but have adapted to different habitats and conditions. I for one, share the preference for big, bulky, strong looking IRNs, but just because a bird is small (and healthy!), doesn't make it a bad specimen.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thanks Johan, definately food for thought. I know that between my biggest IRN at home and the smallest there is a fair difference but health wise they are fit as a fiddle so I do believe in that statement.