Violet IRN SF or DF dominant pied ?

Moderator: Mods

c0keguy

Violet IRN SF or DF dominant pied ?

Post by c0keguy »

is this a SF dominant pied violet or DF dominant violet. This is a 2011 cock bird..

Molossus2

Re: Violet IRN SF or DF dominant pied ?

Post by Molossus2 »

Single factor. The head will be a lot darker in df. The bleach effect puzzles me..I mean the Dom pied has light almost white flight feathers...ditto with the tail feathers too.
I think you may have an edged bird instead of a Dom pied...???
Madas are you out there? What do you think? Johan? Someone??anyone??
madas

Post by madas »

Molossus2 wrote:Single factor. The head will be a lot darker in df. The bleach effect puzzles me..I mean the Dom pied has light almost white flight feathers...ditto with the tail feathers too.
I think you may have an edged bird instead of a Dom pied...???
Madas are you out there? What do you think? Johan? Someone??anyone??
Yeah, i agree no dom. pied and no edged bird (edged mutation doesn't effect the color of the tail feather shafts). Perhaps a very bad marked rec. pied but i don't believe it. Very strange looking bird.
Any infos on the parents?

madas
c0keguy

Post by c0keguy »

Madas, I was told by the breeder his parents are (SF)violet blue dom. pied cock X blue dom. pied hen
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

you can't get a DF violet with a blue bird you have to have 2 SF violet birds or a SF violet bird and a DF violet bird
c0keguy

Post by c0keguy »

@Mikeb, when i said SF or DF, i did not mean single factor or double factor violet .. i was talking about single factor dominant pied or DF dominant pied
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

To me it looks like a very lightly pied bird. The second picture shows a spot below the eye with some melanin reduction. I haven't seen many dom. pieds, so I'd not be able to comment on that, except that I haven't really seen the piedness in the head of dom. pieds unless DF, and this is clearly not a DF dom. pied. And even in SF, usually the flights are much more pied. However, with the excessive variation that exists in the pied birds (there is already talk of 8 different recessive, and 3 different dom. strains!), I'd not put money on exactly what it is, as too be perfectly honest, I don't know exactly what mutation this bird carries. I'd go with recessive pied on this, if my hand was forced for an opinion, otherwise I'd stick with "I'm not sure". :|

Also, esp. from the second picture, the bird looks cobalt rather than violet, or is it just me or perhaps the light?

@c0keguy, what do you think the odds are of you convincing the seller to send you some pictures of the parents?
c0keguy

Post by c0keguy »

Johan, Thanks for the detailed answer I will try to get pictures of parents from the breeder if its feasible and post here..It definitely is Violet.. second picture is just the lightning effect on camera..I will try to post more pictures of this bird also
Regards,
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Ps I always wanted to say this ... Here goes...COkeguy...DO A FULL FRONTAL PIC TOO.. :mrgreen:
c0keguy

Post by c0keguy »

here are the pics from front taken today ..

regards

Tartan ringnecks

Post by Tartan ringnecks »

Hi
could this be a s/f violet blue clearheaded fallow .
Looking at the eyes and also the nails.
And it has a little white mark over the eye in the
Top pictures 2011 cock bird .
Kev
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

I wanted to point out the colour of the feet and nails too. But I'm sticking with recessive pied. Pictures three and four shows tell-tale signs of the piedness at the back of the head associated with these birds. The flight feathers are inconsistent for the clearhead mutation. Regarding the eyes, I have two very distinct pieds, one with eyes almost like a clearhead (very large, dark region), and one with very clear eyes like a normal bird (almost as clear as the picture above this forum page).
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

The fading on the bib is also a rec pied indicator. Are both violets in the pic related? They both show this trait.
C-Aviaries

Post by C-Aviaries »

It's a violet dominant Pied. I bred one just like that from a blue dominant Pied male and a violet female.