Lacewing Genetics question

Moderator: Mods

MandoKurtz

Lacewing Genetics question

Post by MandoKurtz »

Hello, I am terribly awful about trying to figure out anything that has to do with genetics! I am getting my first ringneck chick pretty soon, and the breeder I am getting my baby from did not have this clutch DNA tested... I was wondering, is it possible to figure out if the chicks are male/female by the colors they hatched out as?
The breeder told me the male is a blue split (split to what I am uncertain? Pallid?) and the female is a lutino split.
The offspring he has are a blue chick, a turquoise pallid chick and a blue pallid chick.
I wish I could post pics but I believe I am too much of a newbie on this forum still :)
And I do not believe they are palladinos, but then I still not quite familiar with the differences between a pallid and a palladino. The blue pallid bird is very very light, almost a silvery bluish white, but I believe that is how regular blue pallid birds are correct?
Anyways, any light shed on this, if it is enough info, would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks for your time! :)
rod038

Re: Lacewing Genetics question

Post by rod038 »

The hen may of been a Creamino based on the offspring and not a Lutino. They are simlilar to look at.
As to the sex of the chicks, the Pallid chicks would be Hens and the Blue no way of telling.
smick

Post by smick »

If i'm correct and the pair is blue/pallid cock and lutino/blue hen then the blue chick will be a cock and the pallids would be hens, being pallid is a sex linked mutation. But this combo wont get the turquoise blue pallid? so the hen may be creamino as rod said and you would have to dna the blue bird.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

The blue chick could be a hen or a cock. And if it is a cock, it could or could not be split for pallid.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

What if the dam is lut/bl/lwing?
MandoKurtz

Post by MandoKurtz »

Awesome! Thanks for all your guys' help! So it looks like everyone agrees that the lacewings are girls. I was hoping for a make bird, but I guess te gender doesn't seem to matter much, at least from what I have read. I shall try and post some pics of the birds if I can when I get to a computer. Now for the hard decision, choosing a baby! :)
madas

Post by madas »

Molossus2 wrote:What if the dam is lut/bl/lwing?
Hi,

what do you mean with lying? Lacewing aka pallid?
A hen can't be split for pallid because it is a sex linked mutation.

madas
madas

Post by madas »

smick wrote:If i'm correct and the pair is blue/pallid cock and lutino/blue hen then the blue chick will be a cock and the pallids would be hens
Sorry you aren't correct. This pair will give you:

1.0 blue /pallid x 0.1 ino /blue
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 blue pallidIno
25.0% 1.0 pallidIno /blue
25.0% 1.0 blue /ino
25.0% 1.0 green /blue ino
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 blue
25.0% 0.1 green /blue
25.0% 0.1 blue pallid
25.0% 0.1 pallid /blue

greetings.

madas
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Madas you're right. Hens cannot b / for a sex linked mut. A blonde moment for me.