What babies can i expect?

Moderator: Mods

Mishaley

What babies can i expect?

Post by Mishaley »

Hi! Im very new to breeding ringnecks and have been a little confused at all the different info out there. I have a blue male which has been warming up to our female white headed gray lacewing. I was wondering what kind of babies to expect? can the white head trait be passed to babies? she also has the violet gene so i was told by the person i purchased her from. Thanks =)
ad1671

Re: What babies can i expect?

Post by ad1671 »

Mishaley wrote:Hi! Im very new to breeding ringnecks and have been a little confused at all the different info out there. I have a blue male which has been warming up to our female white headed gray lacewing. I was wondering what kind of babies to expect? can the white head trait be passed to babies? she also has the violet gene so i was told by the person i purchased her from. Thanks =)
these are the possible chicks from your pairing assuming that they have no splits(carrying other mutations)...

1.0 blue x 0.1 grey(sf) blue pallid

% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 grey(sf) blue /pallid
50.0% 1.0 blue /pallid
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 grey(sf) blue
50.0% 0.1 blue

you cant have pallid chicks(white headed) but the cocks that will come from that pairing will be split to that mutation- pallid(white headed)... also your hen cant be split to violet
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Ashley the only way the seller can state that the grey lacewing carries the violet factor is that the bird bred visual violet offspring. Did it?
Assuming both birds are not carrying other colors then the offspring will be blue and grey offspring. All the cocks will be / lacewing. Let us know about the violet factor.
Mishaley

Post by Mishaley »

sorry i should have said but yes the previous owner got a violet baby from her the last breeding season. Her mate at the time was also a grey lacewing.
Mishaley

Post by Mishaley »

I have just read that blues have black nails unless split to something.. is this true? my blue has clear nails. Thankyou all for your help btw! things seem easier to understand after having things explained. cant stop reading though...genetics is so interesting =D
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Molossus2 wrote:Ashley the only way the seller can state that the grey lacewing carries the violet factor is that the bird bred visual violet offspring. Did it?
Unless the bird was bred from grey x DF violet (or the reverse, and excluding the pallid mutation). The grey will mask the SF violet that should be present in all the offspring. :) Not sure why somebody would breed a grey to DF violet, however.

Ashley, you don't perhaps know the genetic make up of the parent stock from which your bird was bred? I always try to get this information from the breeder to go along with the bird I'm purchasing, as it plays a role in managing your breeding outcomes of certain mutations.