What mutation are the parents?

Moderator: Mods

McmillanBirds

What mutation are the parents?

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi all

I bought a pair of ringnecks 2years ago. Male=visually blue, female=visually albino. The babies they have had over the last 2years have been blue, light blue, blue pallid and blue pallidIno.

I eventually figured out how to use genCalc with much patience and research. Which is the correct one to the two possibilities I have come up with? or did I perhaps miss something and leave it out:

1.0 blue /pallid
x 0.1 blue ino
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue pallidIno
50.0% 1.0 blue /ino
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue
50.0% 0.1 blue pallid

OR

1.0 blue /cinnamon-pallid
x 0.1 blue ino
% from all 1.0
1.5% 1.0 blue /cinnamon ino
48.5% 1.0 blue /ino
1.5% 1.0 blue pallidIno
48.5% 1.0 blue pallidIno /cinnamon
% from all 0.1
1.5% 0.1 blue pallid
1.5% 0.1 blue cinnamon
48.5% 0.1 blue
48.5% 0.1 blue pallid cinnamon

Thanks in advance :)
Carmen
rod038

Re: What mutation are the parents?

Post by rod038 »

I would say the second option you put in looks pretty right as it explains the Light Blue or Cinnamon Blue. You can see that you have 3 sex linked mutations there so some of the young you will be able to nest Sex.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thanks Rod038. When I saw the out comes I thought it was that but being new to mutations I thought I would just ask to confirm. All the blue cinnamons will be female unless there is a fluke of nature :) With the blue pallidInos am I right in saying there will be very little or very light blue on them almost white? most of my babies went at about 6weeks so I have never seen the complete outcomes, besides 1 or 2 people who when I ask after the babies actually respond. I try keep in contact and help people when they need advice when they take the babies but not everyone stays in contact.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Yes they will be very pale blue. I had a Grey Cinnamon Lacewing once and she was almost white too. The Lacewing lightens the bird and the cinnamon does as well.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thanks :) I recently bought a male that was meant to be green/ino but when I went to collect it I saw that it was a pallid, at first i thought it was a green pallid, but when I got home and actually compared it to my green pallid female(Lacey-I am terrible, I name my birds) i noticed that his body is green with more of a blueish tinge versus hers which is like a lime green(yellow belly). I want to post picks but I know that you have to post a cetain amount of times before doing so. He is also moulting at the mo so his true colours won't present themselves until that is done.

Also, I kept him separate for a week to make sure there weren't any bugs brought in and now I have put him in a big avairy with 2 lutino females(2yrs old) and the pallid female(1yr) in the hopes he will pair with 1 of them. Which do you think will be a better pairing?
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I pair my birds up a couple of months before the breeding season starts. This includes braking up previous pairs. Ringnecks tend to not bond as much as some parrots do.

Either one of those pairing would be ok. It depends on what you want to breed more of. If its Pallid go with the Pallid Hen or Lutinos go with one of the Lutino hens.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thanks rod038. I have noticed over the last 3 years that they are very flirty birds and even during breeding season some of them will flirt with the birds next door to them, others try fight, so have ended up putting partitions up so they can't see each other at that time of year. My birds should prob start breeding in the next 5 and a half to 6 months, its a little while but looking forward to it. I have looked on genCalc and if I pair the pallid male to a lutino then I should get pallids and pallidInos, if to the pallid female, pallids all around. That is providing there are no splits on the males behalf I guess, I shall soon find out.:D
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Talking about not bonding all year around and being able to split and re pair ringnecks, I have a lutino female that I tried 3 different males with and she eventually accepted a goldencherry male, he dances for her all year round, when I drive out for work he is dancing and when I come back home he is still at it, but she will not accept anyone else. The only sad part of that pairing is the babies that come out, green and cinnamon green.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Like everything there are exceptions. Leave them together and see how she goes once breeding season starts.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thanks for everything. :)
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hola Carmen,

Your male is a Blue /Pallid/Cinnamon. Pallid and Cinnamon are most probably non linked (in different chromosomes) since in your offspring you got Blue Cinnamon babies (light blue) and Blue Pallid babies, but not Pallid Cinnamon offspring. You got also Blue PallidIno, and if Pallid and Cinnamon were linked you would have got more probably Blue Cinnamon PallidInos.

In your calculations you have choosen type 1 linkage, but looking at your results, type 2 linkage seems more probable (>97% probability).

So the correct calculations are as follows:

1.0 blue /pallid cinnamon
x 0.1 blue ino cin+/cin;bl/bl;inopd/ino+;
bl/bl;ino/Y;

Males:
48.5% 1.0 blue /cinnamon ino bl/bl;Xcin/Xino;
1.5% 1.0 blue /ino bl/bl;X/Xino;
48.5% 1.0 blue pallidIno bl/bl;Xinopd/Xino;
1.5% 1.0 blue pallidIno /cinnamon bl/bl;Xinopd-cin/Xino;

Females:
48.5% 0.1 blue pallid bl/bl;Xinopd/Y;
48.5% 0.1 blue cinnamon bl/bl;Xcin/Y;
1.5% 0.1 blue bl/bl;
1.5% 0.1 blue pallid cinnamon bl/bl;Xinopd-cin/Y;

Regards

Recio
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Recio

That does look more plausable but I have no clue how to enter it that way into genCalc. I only started looking into the mutation side this year and why I was getting those colours as I was told by the previous owners that the pair had only ever had albino and blue babies. When out of the four sets of babies I only got those colours I figured what they had thought was albino was most likely pallidIno.

Carmen
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Here is a pic of a batch of 2011 babies from Zack and Cody

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1919 ... es2011.jpg
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Ohhhhh.... just beautiful!

Ellie.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

I love my babies so much, its hard to handrear and sell them, one gets quite attached to them :D
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

An update on 1 of their babies. It will be a year old this year. The owner thinks it is a male as it dances and talks a donkeys hind leg off. His name is Blue. I love it when people send me photos and udates so I can see how my babies are doing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us