Confused!

Moderator: Mods

Scruffymurphy

Confused!

Post by Scruffymurphy »

Hi everyone. At Christmas I was lucky enough for my girlfriend to buy me a grey ringneck as we already have a budgie but I always wanted a a bird a bit bigger. So we purchased little izzy from a local breeder as a grey female and have been completely happy. Since then she has started to go through her first molt and has grown grey green feathers all over which was a bit of a surprise. I posted a question when I first noticed them and was told she was a grey turquoise. My question is, is pastel, parblue, and turquoise all the same thing? It is a bit confusing. And does anyone know a good site with pictures of all the colour mutations and one that explains the whole mutation terminology?
tanya.l

Re: Confused!

Post by tanya.l »

singing wings avairies ( i think ) is a good with good clear pics of most colors
rod038

Post by rod038 »

This still confuses experienced breeders as to what its called. As far as I know there are more than one Parblue. These have been given different names over the years with not all breeders agreeing.

In Australia one type is called Pastel which is also known as Turquoise. Indigo is another as is Emerald another.

So I guess to answer your question Pastel and Turquoise are the same. Parblue however is the name for the Mutation with Pastel or Turquoise being a type of Parblue.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

As mentioned, parBlue is a mess. The problem is that the same mutation gets different names in different regions (think lacewing/pallid, greyhead/opaline, etc.). In SA, we refer to it mostly as turquoise, not pastel. And aqua can also be thrown into the mix introduced by Rod.

To add to this, turquoise(blue) expresses itself differently. There are mature cocks with pink in the ring, some without. Some birds are almost entirely green, some have only a few green feathers and are mostly blue. All of this adds to the confusion, and raises the important question, "Exactly how many parBlue mutations do we have?".
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

As far as the experts go there are two known par blue types...viz the turquoise and the aqua.
The variant in shades of normal blue causes the turq to express itself in more ways than one. This has now given rise to naming of variants in the turquoise mutation. Johan there will be more confusion once aqua expresses itself similarly. :mrgreen:
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Imagine the confusion once people start breeding turquoise to aqua. :?
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Damn right. You should see pics of these birds. Only breeders of these birds can be certain of their mutation.
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Molossus2 wrote:The variant in shades of normal blue causes the turq to express itself in more ways than one. This has now given rise to naming of variants in the turquoise mutation.
Hi Molossus2, if I understood your statement correctly then next question would be, "how to map shades of blue with the percentage of green flush that appears on a bird as a result of turq mutation" ?

For example for following segregation of turquoise :-

Turquoise Blue = 60 to 80 % green flush on a blue bird having "Blue Shade A"
Indigo Blue = 40 to 60 % green flush on a blue bird having "Blue Shade B"
Saphire Blue = 20 to 40 % green flush on a blue bird having "Blue Shade C"

Can you please tell from lighter to darkest Blue Shade A , B & C ?
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Sherjil it is as you laid it out ABC darkest to lights. Let me know if you observe differently.
Par blue occurs in two known types ie turq and aqua. Blues are known in three known types ie blue cobalt and violet. We now know of a fourth blue called the oz cobalt. If you like the turq then try to get all these four types in as many of the three types of turq as you can.
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Thanks for the reply; I was actually referring to only variations in the blue mutation without adding another mutation like cobalt or violet etc

Lets just put oz cobalt aside as it will further complicate my query : ) although I belive it is a variation in blue mutation apart from normal blue (commonly available). I may be wrong in assuming this about oz cobalt!

I am putting another example to further elaborate my question.

Will a normal blue cock when paired to a (lets say) DF turquoise blue hen, always produces offsprings falling within one of the 3 categories of turquoise I mentioned earlier OR the offsprings can attain varying turquoise coloration even from the same pair within the same clutch or different clutches ?
i.e. Does in this case turquoise behave just like the pied which is a random coloration of piedness in the offsprings for each instance ?
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Sherjil hi,
Yes you will produce random color types as the parentage possess variants in their lineage. Do a trial
By holding a batch of offspring from hour pair and see for yourself. This is my own opinion though.
Regards,
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

thanks Molossus2 ... a very fruitful and helping conversation... will update with the breeding results
Scruffymurphy

Post by Scruffymurphy »

I don't know how you can all make sense of this. It's way too confusing.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

It kinda gets to you after a bit. After that there's no hope ... It's addictive. I need rehab. My wife would kill me if she knew what I hide in my closet because of my addiction. :mrgreen: