Is this a deep blue aqua ?

Moderator: Mods

angeldc77

Is this a deep blue aqua ?

Post by angeldc77 »

Someone is advertising this bird as a deep blue aqua, which I assume would be the same as a cobalt aqua. To me it looks like it could be a cobalt turquoise at best if not a normal turquoise. I spoke to the person that has it and they bought the bird from another breeder, so she really does not know what the genetic background truly is. To me it does not look like other photos of aquas that I have seen. Here are a few pics, what do you guys think??

This is a picture of my turquoise split to pallid male for comparison.

Molossus2

Re: Is this a deep blue aqua ?

Post by Molossus2 »

It's a deep blue which is a name coined in Ozzie land. This is another form of dark factor blue which is also dominant in inheritance . It could be an aqua but pics are not easy to confirm.
The bird is worth working on it's own....ie if you enjoy breeding darker colored birds as i do.
I suggest you take the bird to an experienced but credible breeder to verify the aqua factor.
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Hi;

Can you please elaborate how to visually distinguish between cobalt & deep blue mutations ? thanks
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Sherjil,
Please scroll back to a topic .... How to achieve the color purple...this will be found if you scroll down a bit. I gave a website address that shows pics on these mutations for comparison. This should be of interest.
Regards,
rickyc

Post by rickyc »

i think you have a cobalt irn by the look of the deep cobalt flight feathers
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

The green overlay which increases over the next molting sessions indicate this is a turq and not an aqua. Since the green does not appear dark I believe this is an oz cobalt turq. Personal opinion.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Difficult to judge the colour when using indoor lighting with/without a flash. Take the first picture, my first impression was that it is a normal blue bird. Second and third picture looks like a dark factor blue. I'd go with cobalt, as I don't know much about the deep/Oz cobalt and have seen quite a bit of variation in the dark factor itself. Personally don't see the green that Molossus is referring to, unless he is specifically talking about the turquoiseblue/pallid bird that is used as reference (last picture).
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Johan hi,
Yes I was referring to the turq pallid not the deep blue. Send new pic on this bird.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

what does the "Oz" represent in the cobalt mutation?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

By Oz cobalt I mean the Australian cobalt. It seems as if this bird is a dark blue in the DF, unlike the European cobalt that is mauve in the DF.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Oh ok, here in Florida a cobalt is a single dark factor blue and a muave is a double dark factor blue.