confused at pairing results

Moderator: Mods

*kimi*

confused at pairing results

Post by *kimi* »

Hi, I'm confused as on the psittacula world website- it says that if you pair blue to turquoise blue you will get
50% blue & 50% turquoise blue in either cocks or hens

although on the gen calc, it says you only get turquoise blue, which one is right? or am I using gen calc wrong?

help plz,

1.0 blue
x 0.1 turquoise(parblue)
% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue
Molossus2

Re: confused at pairing results

Post by Molossus2 »

Don't really use gencalc but I know that you can expect 50/50 blue and turq.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

For the Turquoise Blue bird you need to check the Split Blue as well as the Turquoise.
jhebert9

Post by jhebert9 »

Where can I find the genetic calculator you're using?
Darwin, Turquoise Chick
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Kimi, your pairing example is for a homozygous parblue (Turquoise) bird, which would always give heterozygous parblue (TurquoiseBlue) offspring when paired to a blue bird. These birds are not as common. Some breeders refer to them as a DF turquoise, although this is frowned upon by others who use the SF/DF notation with mutations that have a dominant (complete/incomplete) inheritance with the wildtype (recall turquoise is actually recessive to the wildtype, from there the unhappiness with the SF/DF notation for parblues).

As Rod pointed out, you can fix the problem by entering a Turquoise split blue bird, which is the GenCalc notation for a heterozygous TurquoiseBlue. Chances are very good that this would give better breeding prediction, as you require a specialized breeding program to be 100% sure of homozygous parblue birds. The result with a TurquoiseBlue x Blue pairing should then be 50/50, as Molossus mentioned.
ad1671

Post by ad1671 »

*kimi* wrote:Hi, I'm confused as on the psittacula world website- it says that if you pair blue to turquoise blue you will get
50% blue & 50% turquoise blue in either cocks or hens

although on the gen calc, it says you only get turquoise blue, which one is right? or am I using gen calc wrong?

help plz,

1.0 blue
x 0.1 turquoise(parblue)
% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue
im also using gen calc... and this is the result of your pairing

1.0 blue x 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue

% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue
50.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue
50.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue
*kimi*

Post by *kimi* »

thanx johan, I'm wondering what a d/f turquoise blue looks like, never seen one before. Are they alot darker like d/f violet? or are they more greyish?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

*kimi* wrote:thanx johan, I'm wondering what a d/f turquoise blue looks like, never seen one before. Are they alot darker like d/f violet? or are they more greyish?
Kimi, I'm not sure to what bird you are referring to. A bird can either be turquoise (or as some call it, a DF or homozygous turquoise; notice that the word 'blue' is not used here, because it already carries the maximum of 2 mutant genes at that locus), or a turquoise blue, but not a d.f. turquoise blue.

I suspect you might be refering to the turquoise bird? It is difficult to say what they look like, because it depends on the degree of the turquoise mutation and they do differ in their expression. Remember that turquiose does not cause a darkening of the feathers (it isn't a structural mutation), so it will not look like a cobalt/mauve/violet/grey/etc., but rather the turquoise mutations prevents the full expression of the blue mutation, i.e. you get some green feathers mixed with the blue. Now I use the word "some", because it does differ from very little green feathers (i.e. almost completely blue birds) to a lot of green. Some people argue (non-stop, I'll have you know) that the fully expressed turquoise mutation have a lot more green than your normal turquoiseblue. And under most circumstances that is the case, but it is not set in stone and can not be used as a rule. I have TurquoiseBlue birds that has so much green that you'd almost confuse them for normal wildtypes if it wasn't for the difference in tail colour and primary flights, yet they have a blue brother from the same clutch. Another thing about turquoise is that the degree of green tends to change with age. We have birds that were almost blue when they first feathered up, and are now almost completely green at 15 months. There are some pictures of DF turquoise and turquoiseblue examples on the thomasriver website, although I won't use it as a strict rule.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Just to add to what Johan is describing in dbl ftr turq often the degree of green is so dominant you may confuse this for a normal green. The tinge of blue is often overlooked and the bird proves it's factor through test mating. The variability of green and blue in blue turqs is a cause of much debate leading to names such as Sapphire and Indigo based on the percentage of blue on green.