Genetics color question

Moderator: Mods

LadyCalypso

Genetics color question

Post by LadyCalypso »

Okay so I have a question that I think I have the answer to but just wanted to verify with someone here it is if I have a Visually Blue ringneck and am not sure of his splits and he is paired to a turquoise lacewing hen lets say that he has no splits I will get all male turquoise(parablue) blue/pallid,female Turquoise(parablue) blue chicks but if he is split then I will know by what color the chicks are this will tell me what he is split to right does this mean if they have a green chick then he is split green or a pallid or so on (anything that is not turquoise blue) is that how I would know what his split is by the chicks?
ad1671

Re: Genetics color question

Post by ad1671 »

LadyCalypso wrote:Okay so I have a question that I think I have the answer to but just wanted to verify with someone here it is if I have a Visually Blue ringneck and am not sure of his splits and he is paired to a turquoise lacewing hen lets say that he has no splits I will get all male turquoise(parablue) blue/pallid,female Turquoise(parablue) blue chicks but if he is split then I will know by what color the chicks are this will tell me what he is split to right does this mean if they have a green chick then he is split green or a pallid or so on (anything that is not turquoise blue) is that how I would know what his split is by the chicks?
here is the result(possible mutations) of your pairing:

1.0 blue x 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid

% from all 1.0(cock)
50.0% 1.0 blue /pallid
50.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid
% from all 0.1(hen)
50.0% 0.1 blue
50.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue

yah you are correct... you will know from the mutations you will produce from your pairing the split of the parents but cant be split to green
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Not always will the splits show up. If he is split to a recessive Mutation, for instance he could be split Cleartail and it will only show up if the Hen is split Cleartail or a coloured Cleartail as well.
Also the percentages shown are the average from 100's of Chicks not just a few. In other words a Mutation can stay hidden for many years before it shows itself.
The likely splits he could be that will show up will be Sex linked because these are not required to be carried by the Female. For instance if he is split Ino you could get White and Yellow chicks which would be hens. The Yellows would be Creaminos. The same would be for Cinnamon. If he was Split Lacewing (Pallid) then you could get male and female Lacewings.
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thank you guys this helps if the eggs are fertile then I will post what colors I get if not then we will wait till next time o hope that all are healthy :) chicks I will candle them on the 6 that will be ten days that the hen has been sitting on the eggs