I Got a new IRN today is he Olive?

Moderator: Mods

LadyCalypso

I Got a new IRN today is he Olive?

Post by LadyCalypso »

I have taken a few pics of my new IRN today I think he is Olive can someone confirm this color for me Thanks also his wings have been cliped so I am not sure if the flight feathers are black or what color they are Thanks
Last edited by LadyCalypso on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCalypso

Re: I Got a new IRN today is he Olive?

Post by LadyCalypso »

okay as I have been reading the grey-green and the olive can be confused I thought that he was and olive also his lower beak is not dark at all it is the same color as his upper beak what does this mean as his body is obviously a dark green color as an olive or a grey-green I am very confused? His tail is a little raged right now as I just picked him up and am getting a bigger enclosure for him :) then he has had in the past Thanks for looking
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Hi;

I am amazed with the width of the pink ringneck , its much wider than commonly seen in ringnecks but gives a great look I must say :)

please see below link for your question:-

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=13713

hope it wont add to the confusion :wink:
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Looking at the proportion of the beak I think you have an alexandrine or hybrid ringneck in your hands. Does the bird shoe a shoulder band and can you send some pics of this for evaluation?
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

molossus I will try to get some better pics of him today even his call is slightly different I have never seen an Alexandria for real only pics so I can not judge on size but I new there was something off about him lol unfortunately unless I can trace his band # to a breeder I will never know for sure as he was in an aviary of an older women that has passed and her son has been taking these birds to a shop near me and just getting rid of them for cheap she had around 150 in her aviary and home but any help on what he may be is great lol this is the second time I went for a Indian ringneck and came out with a cousin lol last time it was a pair of African ringnecks that I brought home. Any how when I look at him I do see a slight golden color on his sholder of his wings that is different from the dark green of his body Thanks I will post as good of pics as I can soon thanks
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

being your in the US try getting in touch with L&M bird bands they supply most all breeders in the US and maybe they can tell you the breeder from the initials on the band
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thanks Mikeb I have gotten a few more pictures of him for you guys to view and I will get a hold of L&M in the morning

Molossus2 my question is if he is in fact an Alexandria then I should breed him with another Alexandria right but if in fact he is a hybrid then what would I put him with and Alexandria or and Indian and are hybrids even fertile I know crossbreeding can make some bird species infertile right so were would I go from here with him?

any comments welcome thank you
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

He is a hybrid which is a pity. And an Olive at that. This means he has been hybridised for more than a generation. You can breed him back to a pure alexandrine for outbreeding the irn characteristics.
I keep my alexandrines pure but that's a preference of mine.
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Yes molossus2 I agree I never knew a hybrid existed until yesterday lol well I will have to make some decisions on this as I am inclined to keep both species pure and as he is already a hybrid I am not sure what to do with him I am with you though I would breed him back to a true Alexandrian hen to get all the Indian ringneck out then the chicks would be only 3/4 Alexandria right? or do you think he has more Alexandria than ringneck right now so the chicks would be almost full alex? I love both species of these birds and would like to keep them pure I am going to try to trace the band # so I can to see what I can find out Though he is a stunning bird so are both of the species that he came from. Thank you for your help
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Paired back to a pure Alex will produce dark green offspring due to his double factor dominant gene.
He does have strong alex features. You must realize that you will be perpetuating hybrid birds which is not a good thing for species purity.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Its quite sad when as a "breeder" you can go out and buy a bird without even realising you are purchasing a hybrid.
Surely you can see based on size, ring, beak, even facial appearance you are not buying a ringneck?

Its a pity.
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Hello and thank you for all of your help as I am just starting out and have just set up my pairs (within the last 6 months). I have not had any clutches yet I am expecting this to happen in the spring. I have gotten a lot of help from many people some on here and some breeders in the USA to help me along. I knew something was different about my olive guy. I decided to buy him anyway as I felt sad for his condition in a small cage that his tail had no room in and a man with no experience and knowledge about IRN's now that I have been reading up on hybrids and have learned quite a bit as with a lot of things I am learning about in this hobby as a beginner there is a lot to learn and let me also clarify that in my opinion I do not think it is okay to breed hybrids unless for colors that you could not otherwise get and you are going to spend your life trying to get them back to the original and keep the hybrid offspring out of the public's hands as situations in Australia have done that I have read about with that said This bird (indian/alex) hybrid that I purchased will live here with us in his own cage happy and healthy until he passes on as I do not want the same mistake to happen to someone else that is inexperienced as I was again. And how it has happened all ready in our community.

Here is his story....
I was looking on our local classified ad page when I came across a ad for a green Indian ring neck for sale so I called and got the response that he had picked this green IRN up from a pet store about 6 months ago and said that the man at the shop had said it would be easy to train him he was still young (under a year) witch I knew was defiantly wrong as his ring is full he said he had tried to work with him but was having no luck and had no more time to spend trying so I told him I would be willing to come over to look at him and maybe take him home with us where he can be happy making a ton of noise with the rest of ours that maybe I would find him a mate. so I set up a time to go and see the bird when I got there to see him he was huge!! looked like my IRNs on steroids lol but his tail was matted from the small cage and he was scared so I took him home anyway I had also asked what shop he got him from. when I got him home I checked his band and the band read 1 04 PTM that would make him 7yrs old no wonder the training was not going well so I started feeding him better and got the bigger aviary style of cage up so that he had room to fly I noticed the bronze color of patches on his shoulders and decided I would put his pic on here as an Olive IRN to see what people had to say (that is when I first found out about hybrids) and I also called the shop that he was purchased from when I called the pet shop I had asked if they had sold a ring neck about 6 months ago and they replied that they had sold several of the same ring necks like him that a grandson had been bringing these birds in because his grandmother had passed on and had an aviary with around 150 of these same colored birds in it and he just wanted to get rid of them he could not give me any more information on the birds but knowing what I know now 150!!!! of these hybrids out there with people that might not ask as many questions as me!!! and may even breed them as IRN's now this is the nightmare many speak of when we as breeders and beginner breeders that want to start out right and preserve the species do not ever want to hear and now knowing what I know this is why it is better just to stay away from hybridizing (unless willing to keep all offspring and are in a situation like Australia) This should have never happened!!! now out there is 149 more hybrids that are being sold to people as IRNs to most that are inexperienced like I was before doing my research and asking questions on this website. This is what we never ever want to happen. with this information I told the pet shop what I knew and hope that they will sell them as what they are hybrids and not as pure IRN's I have also called L&M bands to try to track down the birds original breeder however L&M bands could not give out the breeders info to me so they called the breeder and left him my number of course I have yet to here back from this breeder. This is a sad story of what could possibly happen if you do hybridize birds and what has happened in my community from the lack of knowledge and ignorance of some that do not fully grasp the importance of keeping a species pure. If we hybridize these birds soon we will not have any that are pure and then in turn make a species extinct as we will not have Alexandria's and we will not have Indian Ring necks we will have what ever this is left in the middle Thank you for your time in reading my post.

also SCB-SA I am a beginner "breeder" of IRN's I am learning that there are many species that have similar features as a hybrid it was hard for me as a beginner to notice right away as he had some Indian features and some alex features like the huge beak also I do not claim to have the experience as some do on here that is why I post to get help and knowledge from people who may have gone through similar situations or may have insight to help me on my way to become a good breeder not to be shot down and judged for mistakes I did know something was up with my big guy because he looked like a ring neck just extra large but wanted to know more as you can see from my story I did my research and will not be breeding this bird. I also will not be making this mistake again because I have learned so much from it Thank you
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Don't beat yourself up because of this. Live and learn. Many breeders ,especially Australians wrongly believe that Alex mutations are actually hybrids. This may be true in Australia because of importation bans. Most hybrid breeders intend back crossing until the irn features disappear some even claim them to be pure Alex mutations and ask a fortune for them.
Lady more lessons are in store for you as you move on. Let's re look at your olive and determine his true color. I think you may have a grey green bird and not an olive. Look at his tail color and if it's blue then it's an olive. If it's grey then he's grey green.
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thank you Molossus2
Okay so I took a few more recent pictures of him it seems like more red is showing through on his shoulders now he is on a better diet :) he is a grey-green for sure no blue on his tail. and now that I know about Alexandrian's I can hardly see any ring neck in him lol it is a mess what generation do you think he would be if not first? of a hybrid? just curious things that I think of when I look at him and can you explain a little more about this to me as I am not sure that I understand it fully? I wish that his breeder would have called me back also his call is different from my ringnecks he sure is a pretty bird and I think him happier in his large cage :) Thanks again
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

At a guess I'd say 2nd or 3 rd generation. The shoulder band of a true grey green is coppery red and not sparse. Take a normal green Alex cock and place side by side and you will see the difference immediately. Sounds like you are becoming an Alex person.
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

If I could I may have to find me a pair if true normal green alex birds I have been starting to take interest in them since this whole endeavor started lol sure are gorgeous birds just like my ringnecks :) just love the species I guess can't help it love ring necks all of them