Have a baby blue IRN, both parents were blue

Moderator: Mods

blueindianringneck

Have a baby blue IRN, both parents were blue

Post by blueindianringneck »

So does that mean it is Double factor blue? OR Blue split to blue? New to genetics. Thank you! What color of offspring? Recommend a mate color? JUST sent off DNA test for the little guy. Will know next week what sex it is. We have named it Bubbles. :)

mikeb

Re: Have a baby blue IRN, both parents were blue

Post by mikeb »

blue is only a single factor gene and if the bird is visually blue it is carrying the blue gene and showing it so it cannot be split to blue only a different color bird can be split to blue as for a breeding mate any color bird will do my suggestion would be a violet blue one with that combination it would give you 50% blue and 50% violet blue babies
blueindianringneck

mikeb wrote:blue is only a single factor gene and if the bird is visually blue it is carrying the blue gene and showing it so it cannot be split to blue only a different color bird can be split to blue as for a breeding mate any color bird will do my suggestion would be a violet blue one with that combination it would give you 50% blue and 50% violet blue babies
oh okay. Thank yoU! what other colors are single factor? If we were to breed it with another blue, would all babies be blue? Sorry, still trying to grasp all of this :)
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

yes blue x blue will give you all blue babies
Azure

Post by Azure »

I know this is old but must say that tail in the first pic is a lovely blue! What mutation does the tail belong to lol. :lol:
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
blueindianringneck

Azure wrote:I know this is old but must say that tail in the first pic is a lovely blue! What mutation does the tail belong to lol. :lol:

That's Lavender, our "Violet" indian ringneck :) Thanks for looking!
Azure

Post by Azure »

wow! absolutely lovely, great bird, it seems even Bubbles wants to grab it to admire :D :lol: :mrgreen:
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
blueindianringneck

Azure wrote:wow! absolutely lovely, great bird, it seems even Bubbles wants to grab it to admire :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Thank you! And yes, and when he loses a tail feather each member of the family argues over who gets to keep it lol
Azure

Post by Azure »

blueindianringneck wrote:when he loses a tail feather each member of the family argues over who gets to keep it lol
lol :lol: how long are the longest feathers? ever measured?
I would certainly fight tooth and claw for those feathers! :P
Azure