Violet Indian Ring neck. Is this a male or a female?Anybody?

Moderator: Mods

blueindianringneck

Violet Indian Ring neck. Is this a male or a female?Anybody?

Post by blueindianringneck »

We JUST got home with our new baby. A Violet Indian Ringneck. The older lady that sold us the bird said it was a female. We asked if it had been sexed and she said no. We asked her how she knew and she said "Oh, I just know." um... okay. She didn't know how old the bird is either. A little help? lol

I think it's a male because I see a ring... sort of.
Last edited by blueindianringneck on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueindianringneck

Re: Violet Indian Ring neck. Is this a male or a female?

um... "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" is what I get when I try to ad a picture. Any help?
blueindianringneck

problem solved lol. Gotta love photo bucket. ;)
sections

Re: Violet Indian Ring neck. Is this a male or a female?Anyb

Post by sections »

Due to not knowing the age it is a bit hard to say. i do know with my green female she has a slight "ring" like your bird displays. i guess the quickest way to find out would be to get a dna test at an avian vet.
blueindianringneck

sections wrote:Due to not knowing the age it is a bit hard to say. i do know with my green female she has a slight "ring" like your bird displays. i guess the quickest way to find out would be to get a dna test at an avian vet.

I may do that. Thank you!
Codys Mom

Post by Codys Mom »

what a beautiful bird :) you can email Avian Biotech and they will send you a free sample kit to dna test your bird which is alot cheaper then paying the vet , I check for the blood card and snip just a little peice of his toe nail you only need a few drops of blood on the blood card to send off and it's 19.50 per sample
rod038

Post by rod038 »

This is a pair of my Violets to show you the difference. They have had 4 chicks this season already and have laid 3 eggs in their second clutch.

blueindianringneck

rod038 wrote:This is a pair of my Violets to show you the difference. They have had 4 chicks this season already and have laid 3 eggs in their second clutch.

so beautiful! How many of the chicks turn out violet? Looks like we have a female? I was also wondering why the beak has black on it. My white one is entirely orange, so the black one was new to me.
blueindianringneck

Codys Mom wrote:what a beautiful bird :) you can email Avian Biotech and they will send you a free sample kit to dna test your bird which is alot cheaper then paying the vet , I check for the blood card and snip just a little peice of his toe nail you only need a few drops of blood on the blood card to send off and it's 19.50 per sample

that would be cheaper! I'll do that!
blueindianringneck

Thought I'd share pictures of my White IRN. When we got her we asked her what her name was (Not expecting an answer) and she said "Coco" so that is her name lol

rod038

Post by rod038 »

I am not sure the colours of the babies as yet as they have not got any feathers. With the colour of the beak but it seems the Violets and the darker coloured birds have the black bottom beak and the lighter birds like the Inos have it all the same colour, top and bottom. Someone else might know more about the beaks.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Rod038,

Very very nice looking cock bird! Very strong colouring.

Well done!!!

Ta Glenn
blueindianringneck

dog_glenn123 wrote:Hi Rod038,

Very very nice looking cock bird! Very strong colouring.

Well done!!!

Ta Glenn
Thank you :)
blueindianringneck

rod038 wrote:I am not sure the colours of the babies as yet as they have not got any feathers. With the colour of the beak but it seems the Violets and the darker coloured birds have the black bottom beak and the lighter birds like the Inos have it all the same colour, top and bottom. Someone else might know more about the beaks.
You'll have to let us know what color they come out! Congrats on the grand birds lol
madas

Post by madas »

Codys Mom wrote:what a beautiful bird :)
Hm. The most beautiful part of a violet ringneck is gone by wing triming.

:(
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

WOW!! These violets are SOO Beautiful!!
myrka2004

Post by myrka2004 »

blueindianringneck wrote:Image

You have such are beautiful baby...love the color.
My guess that is it "HE" BOY, because I see the dark grey above his beak. I see on other pictures that breeder share" girl"....she dosn't have that.
HE boy and I stop my guess :!:
blueindianringneck

myrka2004 wrote:
blueindianringneck wrote:Image

You have such are beautiful baby...love the color.
My guess that is it "HE" BOY, because I see the dark grey above his beak. I see on other pictures that breeder share" girl"....she dosn't have that.
HE boy and I stop my guess :!:
We are getting it DNA tested next month lol The suspense is killing us, and by us I mean the wife lol
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Their wing Feathers are coming through and it looks like all the young will be Violets.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi there,

So, it's been a year now since the last post on this thread....but I came across it when googling dark blue/violet IRNs......I have to say, the birds in the pics above are just stunning! Would love to get a female violet one day to pair up with our blue.

So how did the DNA test turn out anyway? Perhaps by now, if he's a "boy" he's got his rings now?
Regards Deb
blueindianringneck

willowisp71 wrote:Hi there,

So, it's been a year now since the last post on this thread....but I came across it when googling dark blue/violet IRNs......I have to say, the birds in the pics above are just stunning! Would love to get a female violet one day to pair up with our blue.

So how did the DNA test turn out anyway? Perhaps by now, if he's a "boy" he's got his rings now?
YEs! IT'S A BOY! lol

Thank you for stopping by! we are breeding him with our blue lacewing female. If they don't lay this season they will next. We can let you know if we have a female violet! Follow our flock at the address in my signature. :) LOTS more pictures up!
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi blueindianringneck,

Just checked out your page from the link, and OMG!!.......your little flock is sooooo gorgeous!! And I love all their names, they suit just perfectly!! :lol:

I will definately follow your progress, and all the best for the breeding season. Alas, I am in Australia, so even if you do get a violet female, I wouldn't be in a position to purchase anyway :( (that's if you are planning to sell them at any rate?) Bad luck for me.....but good fortune for anyone nearby that's in the market for what's sure to be some gorgeous looking chicks :D

Thanks again for sharing :)
Regards Deb
blueindianringneck

willowisp71 wrote:Hi blueindianringneck,

Just checked out your page from the link, and OMG!!.......your little flock is sooooo gorgeous!! And I love all their names, they suit just perfectly!! :lol:

I will definately follow your progress, and all the best for the breeding season. Alas, I am in Australia, so even if you do get a violet female, I wouldn't be in a position to purchase anyway :( (that's if you are planning to sell them at any rate?) Bad luck for me.....but good fortune for anyone nearby that's in the market for what's sure to be some gorgeous looking chicks :D

Thanks again for sharing :)
Thanks! :)
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

WOW!! Those violets are amazing. Absolutely beautiful
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Sweetleaf.....did you see the pics of Blueindianringneck's grey female via the link in their signature? I thought there might be some pics there that you could compare to your female to see if the colouring is similar? But yes....I totally agree that the violets are stunning in colour!! I have to say I am partial to them....but I also really like the blues and greys....I'd have 2 of each if I could :D
Regards Deb