Physical Mutations

Moderator: Mods

Sherjil

Physical Mutations

Post by Sherjil »

I have seen something called physical mutations in budgies like ones with different types of crest & feature structures or the ones which are larger in size than the wild type called English budgies.

Can anyone share what is exactly meant by a physical mutation ? also does the greater size comes under this category ?

Do we have such mutations in IRNs ? please share links or snaps if any and such articles mentioning physical mutations in IRNs in detail.

below is a picture shown in Wikipedia , showing size difference between the two types of budgies :-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... akeets.jpg
rod038

Re: Physical Mutations

Post by rod038 »

The Budgerigar was breed to that size by breeders choosing the traits and size they wanted in their birds and picking those they wanted to use to so call improve the standard.

It has been developing over many years and still develops today. There is a standard used in Budgerigars for showing them and that is the aim.

Indian Ringnecks are not used in shows like the Budgerigar and I hope they dont. I used to have some show budgies and they could hardly even fly.

How ever it is always a good idea not to use weak or poor examples of a breed of any bird as breeders because what this will in effect do is lower the overall quality. You should only use quality, fertile stock to breed with.

I have not seen any physical mutations in Indian Ringecks, but that doesnt mean there isnt any. In Budgies the main one was the crested. Another one where the birds are called runners, because they have feathers that dont stop growing in length and no wing feathers and cant fly. This is more a disease than a mutation.
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Thanks rod038 ... but if you do come by one , plz share
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there,

There are different size INR's but they are not outside the normal measurements.

I just sold a grey hen that is probably the biggest IRN i have seen very solid bird but its
not another mutation just good genes (in other words as Rod said bread from other big birds)

There as far as i know no mutation that shows different feather structure in IRN's only colour at this stage.

I do believe there are alexandria parrots that have this but i think they are cross bread.

Thanks Glenn
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

thanks glenn , if you have any pictures which can show a visual difference of size please do share
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

The size of a bird dose not depend on a single gene but on many genes (it is called polygenic). To get big birds you just need to select the biggest you have for breeding and to take care to feed properly the youngsters. It is a question of selection, not of mutations. Of course there could be independent mutations of all the genes controling "size", but size ... what does it mean: body size? feathers size? inter-wings size? ... Apparent size depends on many parameters, each one of them being under polygenic control. To verify birds size we should look at other parameters than the distance beak-tail. More pertinent parameters are the weight (it tells us about bone structure and muscle amount), the first remige size and the central tail feathers size... I use to look at the weight which is highly correlated to the apparent size in aviary birds (they can move nearly free and they do not stock high quantities of fat). It is important to do it at a chosen moment of the year since the weight changes over the year. The weight is maximal before the breeding period. At this moment of the year my bigest male weights 155 grs.

Glenn said that there are not structural mutations in IRN feathers. I guess he is meaning some kind of mutation related to feathers size, because otherwise he would be wrong: violet, grey and dark are structural mutations in IRN.

Regards

Recio
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Recio yep my bad didnt explain that right.

I meant no structural size in the birds body head and wings etc,
didnt mean feathers.

Ta Glenn
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Thanks guys
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi guys

I have a female who's body is smaller than any of the other 3 IRN's (all males) I have. Her tail and wings are both the same length etc as the others. She has plucking issues as well so I'm not sure if there is a link between her plucking and her smaller size. No vet could explain her reason for plucking and she seems a very healthy bird otherwise.

Wessel