pallidino

Moderator: Mods

steve

pallidino

Post by steve »

hi could some one please tell me what method pallidino is carried is it sexlinked or recessive? and why cant there be pallidino hens? thanks
also can you please give me an idea of what i could expect out of a blue pallidino cock and a albino hen?

thanx any help would be greatly appreciated
dog_glenn123

Re: pallidino

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Steve,

The ino and the pallid gene are both sex-linked recessive mutations.

The reason a male can express both or be split to both is because they have an extra chromosone to carry them on.

1.0 blue pallidIno
x 0.1 blue ino
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue pallidIno
50.0% 1.0 blue ino
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue ino
50.0% 0.1 blue pallid
so you will get albinos in both male and female.
Blue pallidino males and blue pallid hens.

Thanks Glenn
steve

Post by steve »

thanx for that it all makes sense now :)
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Glenn;

Ino and cinnamon are also both sex linked mutations and there are females ino and cinnamon. Far more: ino, cinnamon and opaline are all sex linked mutations and you can "make" a female with all of them ... so the answer is a bit more complicated.

Best regards

Recio
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hey Recio.

I know they are but i was only answering the question asked and explained that hens cant be split ino.

Ta Glenn
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Saud;

I knew you were there ...

That is the key: ino and pallid are different alleles of the same gene (the gene coding for melanine and allowing to display blue and green colours), and belong to the same locus. What does this mean? It means that the place (locus) of the X cromosome in charge of melanin synthesis can be occupied by the wild gene (produces melanin ... blue colour), by the ino gene (does not produce any melanin .. yellow colour) or by the pallid gene (partial production of melanin ... pallid phenotype). The males own 2 X cromosomes and each one can be occupied by any of the 3 alleles (gene variation) as follows:
Ino - Ino ..... phenotype lutino
Pd - Pd ....... phenotype pallid
Pd - Ino ...... phenotype pallidino
Mel - Mel ..... wild phenotype (normal synthesis of melanin)
Mel - Ino ..... wild phenotype split lutino
Mel - Pd ...... wild phenotype split pallid

For females (only one X cromosome) there are only 3 possibilities and no way to be split:
Mel ..... wild phenotype
Pd ...... pallid phenotype
Ino ...... lutino phenotype

When there is not any melanine (no blue colour) the birds appears yellow (lutino) because only the psittacines are expressed. This is called lutino mutation.
When there is a partial synthesis of melanin (pallid mutation) we can see some green colours due to the expression of psittacines and the partial expression of melanin.
This is what happen in the green series (keeping a normal psittacin synthesis)

It is believed that the first mutation on melanin synthesis to appear was lutino, and that the pallid mutation could have appeared later as a result of genetic mechanisms trying to repair the lutino mutation. This is called a "back mutation".

Regards

Recio