Any Guesses? Pic heavy 56k - no-way

Moderator: Mods

dean_harryman

Any Guesses? Pic heavy 56k - no-way

Post by dean_harryman »

My name is Dean and this is my baby Pakshi. he/she is about 12-14 months old, Pakshi has been living with me since September of 2010.

Pakshi is a JOY, he/she is so sweet, and loves scratches, and is wolf whistling and mumbling stuff. so cute! I am a Paramedic so I work only 8 days a month, and the rest are spent with my bird. he/she gets at least 6 hours a day out of the cage, and either time with me or my mom all day. and fresh food everyday from our organic garden, and apples, and you name it this bird is SPOILED!

Pakshi doesnt like my mom very much, but tolerates her and doesn't bite her very often.... it is mainly because she is scared of being bitten that he bites her.

But I digress, my mother and I are in a fierce debate over Pakshi's sex, I say male, my mom says female. so I thought i could maybe post a video and some pictures, and you guys could maybe take a crack at guessing his sex. I don't want to DNA him, I AM NOT going to pull feathers, or clip toenails short. but if someone wants to venture a guess I would appreciate it.

Also if anyone wants to tell me the real name of his color besides blue I would appreciate that as well..... on to the pics and video.... some of these pictures are newer and some are older, i tried to select pictures that show his ring, and other features, as well as his coloring. THANKS GUYS!

Recent video of Pakshi

Thanks guys for any help you can offer, I hope to become a very active member of this forum!
dog_glenn123

Re: Any Guesses? Pic heavy 56k - no-way

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hey there its very nice for a start.

I say most likley a male,
And either a blue cinnimon or blue pallidino

Thanks Glenn
dean_harryman

Post by dean_harryman »

Is do I, I have felt since day one that he was male, but you never know. I have read that the males can display female behavior, and visa versa. however he was only around other ringnecks when he was less than 2 months old so I don't think that he would have learned behaviors, but Im not very knowledgeable in this arena. Heart attacks and car wrecks I can handle no problem, but this bird stuff can get so complicated.

So what does palidino mean? Only males can be palidino correct? I am very new to the color game, I have searched, and there is all kinds of info about splits and visual, and genetic calculations, way, way, way over my head. and none of it makes any sense, and cinnamon has always confused me, isn't cinnamon brown? LOL
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there i thought the same cinnimon was brown but its not quite right.

It will make the black on the bird brown but as an overall effect it lightens the bird.

Pallid is lacewing depending where you are from.
Ino makes blue birds white(albino) and green birds Lutinos(yellow).

Pallidino yes can only be males.

You cant see the mutation if its split too, in other words the bird will carry the gene but you wont see it.

Pallidino together will still leave the bird looking slightly blue.

Ta Glenn
dean_harryman

Post by dean_harryman »

ok, so pakshi is a light blue, almost turquoise color, with some light blue, turquoise, and grey in his wing with almost completely grey primaries. as well as a light/pastel blue and grey tail. he has light colored feet, with pink toenails, and light blue/grey eyes.

so to me he sounds like a blue pallidino, however, even if he was blue cinnamon, if I have read correctly cinnamon and pallid are both sexlinked, and females cannot carry this gene, or am I reading that wrong? what I am assuming is that because of his coloring he has to be male?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

females can be visual just can't be split
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hens cant be both pallid and ino at the same time.

They can only be a pallid or ino.

Thanks Glenn
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

It is a blue cinnamon, probably female since cinnamon is a sex linked mutation (easier to get females than males which need to be homozygous for cinnamon) ... but time will tell ...

A palidino blue male would display a white head and a clearer blue colour in the body (almost like an albino bird).

Regards

Recio
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi everyone

I don't understand all the breeding terminology/mutations but hope the breeders won't mind a question: is the light colored feet mentioned due to pigmentation or lack thereof?

Wessel
dean_harryman

Post by dean_harryman »

OK, so, would it be safe to say......

Although I do not know the parents of my bird, I do know the makeup of their chicks because all the babys where in one cage when pakshi came home with me.

that being said, there where 3 blue cinnamon and the rest where regular green.

If what I have read in my research is correct, Pakshi has to be a female, since cinnamon is sex linked, if the cock was cinnamon and the hen was cinnamon all the babys would be cinnamon but as some of the chicks where normal green, the hen must have not been cinnamon, and would of had to be either blue or split blue, because with a non split, green bird, all the babys would be green split blue, none would be blue, because greean is dominate, and both parents must be either visual or split blue to get blue chicks,

which would mean that in order for the chicks from Pakshi's parents to be normal green and cinnamon blue, the cock had to be blue cinnamon, and the female had to be blue or split blue. thus creating the green males and blue cinnamon females.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
dean_harryman

Post by dean_harryman »

Last chance to guess on Pakshi's sex.

I took pakshi to the vet today to get a checkup and wing / nail trim, and they took a couple feathers to do a dna test. Pakshi didnt seem to mind too much, and the results will be here in about a week.... so get your guesses in, lol
adreane

Post by adreane »

I think its a female.....but I could be wrong. Mine I think is a female too becaues her pelvic bones feel farther apart. I have felt the pelvic bones in a male conure and Turkeys pelvic bones are much farther apart then the conures. Turkey hasn't shown any male display yet either but that could be because she is still young.
Recio

Post by Recio »

dean_harryman wrote:OK, so, would it be safe to say......

Although I do not know the parents of my bird, I do know the makeup of their chicks because all the babys where in one cage when pakshi came home with me.

that being said, there where 3 blue cinnamon and the rest where regular green.

If what I have read in my research is correct, Pakshi has to be a female, since cinnamon is sex linked, if the cock was cinnamon and the hen was cinnamon all the babys would be cinnamon but as some of the chicks where normal green, the hen must have not been cinnamon, and would of had to be either blue or split blue, because with a non split, green bird, all the babys would be green split blue, none would be blue, because greean is dominate, and both parents must be either visual or split blue to get blue chicks,

which would mean that in order for the chicks from Pakshi's parents to be normal green and cinnamon blue, the cock had to be blue cinnamon, and the female had to be blue or split blue. thus creating the green males and blue cinnamon females.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are partly right except for the last sentence: you should have said: "which would mean that in order for the chicks from Pakshi's parents to be normal green and cinnamon blue, the cock had to be blue cinnamon, and the female had to be split blue. thus creating the green males and blue cinnamon females"

In fact to get blue cinnamon and green chicks you just need a male at least split blue and at least split cinnamon, and a female at least split blue, and they must not to be both visual blue in any pairing.

Regards

Recio
dean_harryman

Post by dean_harryman »

The dna results came back today, Pakshi is Female. although we already pretty much knew that by her genetics...
myrka2004

Post by myrka2004 »

Hi, you have here beautiful IRN that look a like my Rio (he Cinnamon Blue color) almost 5 months now
---here our pictures---[
url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rio2011/ [/url]
Thanks for sharing pictures. :D