what can be the mutation of the babies

Moderator: Mods

Sherjil

what can be the mutation of the babies

Post by Sherjil »

Hi Everyone : )

I have two very beautiful birds housed in my aviary. I bought both about 5 months back , don't have any idea about their parent's mutations; however visually the male looks blue and hen is yellow.

I wanted to attach the pictures but it gives me an error saying "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" . Both birds have recently started to make a bond and the hen is frequently visiting the nest box.

Can anyone tell me what can be the colors of the babies ?

Also how can i avoid this error so that I can share the pics & someone can correctly categories the mutation of my birds.
SCB -SA

Re: what can be the mutation of the babies

Post by SCB -SA »

hi there, if the parents arent split you will get green babies....

And as for upload photos, it is best to post them to www.photobucket.com

and then paste your link here for us to follow and go see the pics!

hope this helps!
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Hi SCB_SA thanks for your help !

here are the images of both male and female birds :-

Male Image 1 : http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... /Male1.jpg
Male Image 2 : http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... /Male2.jpg
Hen Image 1 : http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... s/Hen1.jpg
Hen Images 2 : http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... s/Hen2.jpg

Can you please identify their color mutations. Also how to visually determine if a bird is split ?
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Blue Male and a Lutino Female.

You really need to know what the parents were as you cannot tell what the birds are split for by looking at them.

If they were not split for anything else then all babies would be visually green. The Male babies would be split Ino and split Blue. The females split Blue.

If your Male was split Ino then you would breed Both Green and Lutino in Male and Females.

If your Female was split Blue then you would breed Blue and Green in Males and Females. The Males would also be split Ino.

Alot of Lutinos and Greens would be split Blue. Not Uncommon.

If the colours were the other way round and the Male was Lutino and the Female Blue then you would get Green split Blue Males and Lutino spli Blue Females.

If you get something different then it shows that the birds were split for another mutation.
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Hi rod038 ... thanks for your reply ... I have been going through some other places looking for an answer for blue x lutino and I have found some different views ... just wanted to share if anyone can put some words on it :-

Link 1 : http://www.terraforums.com/forums/archi ... 10909.html (3rd & 4th reply of wmgorum & Pyro respectively from the top) :-

wmgorum :: "If the aviculturalist is careful, you can have both the lutino and blue mutations visible on the bird at the same time. The result is a solid white, red eyed parrot... an albino."

Pyro :: " Technically both the lutino and blue mutants you refer to are forms of "albinism." One is a mutation in the gene that is predominantly responsible for the darker colours (lutino) while the other is responsible for the yellow based colours (blue.) When you combine the two mutants together you get the all white form because it lacks both pathways for colour/pigment."

Link 2 : http://www.indianringneck.net/Lutino_Mutation.html (2nd paragraph) :-

"The Lutino mutation removes most of the melanin in the plumage, soft tissues, and the eyes. When combined with Blue, an Albino (White) is produced".

Link 3 : http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=12920 (This one from the same forum but I couldn't get if glenn123 was talking about pure birds or split ones , please see 2nd reply of glenn from the top ):-

"Blue = Blue Chromosone and again depending on what other mutation the bird has depends on what colours you get, with ino you get albino."
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Lutino in the Green Series and Albino in the Blue series. This is a Sex linked mutation. Hens cant be split. Cock birds can be either coloured or split. You need to have a Cock bird that is either a Lutino or Albino or split to these to breed Lutino or Albino birds.
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Hi rod038; thanks a lot for clearing the ambiguity about blue * lutino and their possible outcome ... I must say the more I discuss about breeding mutations the more I learn and also from other threads on this forum...

I am new to IRNs although I have kept budgies , cockatiel, love birds & plum heads in the past ... but never thought of learning about mutation breeding , which I must say is interesting & challenging to understand

I have been playing with the outcomes of Genetic calculator & I have some more questions in order to understand more about the terminologies being used for mutation breeding :-

Q1 > If female is of a sex link mutation gene e.g. ino (lutino) and as you said can't be split to another gene, then what is meant by the outcome of gencalc in case 1.0 blue ino * 0.1 ino is crossed and 100% females are predicted to be ino / blue i.e. lutino split to blue female.

Q2 > In above example does blue ino represents an albino bird . Also if you can shed some light what would be the visuals of a grey ino , violet ino & Dark - Blue ino bird.

Q3 > In above examples 100% males are predicted to be ino / blue ... now I understand that the male bird has two X chromosomes and ino mutation gene is carried on X but is it carried on one of the X chromosomes or both and is it of any significance w.r.t. visuals of the bird.

Q4 > In the gencalc what is meant by X1 , X2 and T1 , T2 under split to column of male bird and if you can give some useful examples as how to use them.

In addition if anyone can share some easy to understand online literature which can be helpful for understanding this or atleast to begin with. Many thanks
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Sorry I should of been clearer.

I meant can't be split to the sex linked mutation. Mutations Like Ino, Cinnamon, Lacewing are all sex linked. However a sex linked mutation can be split to other non sex linked mutations. Like your example Blue.

Yes Blue Ino is known as Albino. Visually all those birds would look the same. White with a red eye. The Ino masks those colours. If you bred from a Violet Ino then you could breed Violets. The only way to tell is by test breeding an seeing the results.

The gene is carried on both for a visual male Albino and on 1 for a split Albino. The following explains it. Cock bird is mentioned first. X is mutation Gene and x is normal Gene.

XX x XY = 100% mutated offsprings
XX x xY = 100% mut. females 100% split males
Xx x XY = 50% mut. females, 50% mut. males
+ 50% split males
Xx x xY = 50% mut. females 50% split males
- - - - - -
xx x XY = 100% normal fem. 100% split males
rod038

Post by rod038 »