mate a Grey IRN male with a Green Alexindrine female!

Moderator: Mods

Ruan Calitz

mate a Grey IRN male with a Green Alexindrine female!

Post by Ruan Calitz »

Hopefully if I'm right and the alexindrine genetics are the same as the IRN!?grey green is posible and then mate the babies back with alexindrines to get good split birds
SCB -SA

Re: mate a Grey IRN male with a Green Alexindrine female!

Post by SCB -SA »

Thoroughly disagree on cross breeding the 2 species.
Alot of people frown upon it as it is not natural, nor good for the birds, in terms of defects, and being infertile.

Stick to breeding true colour birds, and not hybrids.

Everyone to their own though.
Ruan Calitz

Post by Ruan Calitz »

Oky I understand your point of view and respect it in all ways! But how did they breed lutino,grey or blue mutations in alexindrines?it is a long prosses its 4 generations to make it a pure alexindrine mutation again so its going to take you 8years by that time the mutations in alexindrines wil be every where so ill leave it to the people who is experts in this!thanx do u know where I can get hold of the mutations I'm from south africa
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

when the mutations are bred in the wild, i see no problem with it, it is when they are forced to cross breed I do not approve. when the bird has the ability to choose its own mate out of thousands, and happens to choose a irn or alexandrine partner, then it is natural, as it has occured out in the wild as nature intended.

If i do not approve of it, why would i know where to find them?

Even though i am from south africa myself!
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

(just by the way, i only know of one alexandrine breeder, and he only breeds the normal green)

I adore alex's, just cannot afford one at the moment
Ruan Calitz

Post by Ruan Calitz »

I know of one guy that have a green/blue. 75%pure but is R8 000.and I buy what the eye can see I'm from witbank I'm at the moment busy trying to breed violet red rumps and I'm looking for the orange mutation and nobody wants to sell to me
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there,

Alex's are sometimes cross bread to IRN's but, there are people that breed them as pure and have never been crossed to get different mutations.

Aand another point you could cross an Alex and IRN and then keep the colouring by breeding back to young, but that would never get rid of the IRN genes they will be there in some way.

Madas could you please provide the details of where Ruan can get the true facts and pics of 100% pure Alex's. I pretty sure it was you that commented on this before.

Thanks Glenn
rod038

Post by rod038 »

In Australia and probabley other countries too this was done to breed Lutino into the Alexandrine. You will see birds for sale here that maybe 63/64, 31/32 or 15/16 as a fraction Alexandrine/Ringneck. Like Glenn said they will never be pure genetically Alexandrine but will look like an Alexandirine.

It is not as easy as it sounds because many generations of birds will need to be bred and carefully selected pure birds added into the breeding program to increase size and colour. There will be alot of birds bred of no benefit to anyone. The colour Grey Green will not produce splits only birds that are either Grey Green or Green. You really need to have a very good understanding of type and genetics to do this. It is not for a beginners and would take 10 or more years to get right. 15/16 is 5 generations so that could be 15 years if nothing goes wrong along the way.

You will need more than one pair to keep choosing the best birds to work with and each generation could take up to 3 years before it can be bred. You will need lots of spare birds in the case something should happen to your breeders.
Ruan Calitz

Post by Ruan Calitz »

Thanx glen and rod its a really long prosses and not for any one to atempt !I apreach the info helped a lot!!!
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

Grey is a dominant mutation, so if you ever crossbreed alex to grey IRN you will never get split birds... just grey or green hybrids.

Regards

Recio
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Saud,

I thought that Ruan was only speaking about grey-green ... so I concluded that he was interesting in transferring the grey mutation from IRN to Alex. If he wanted to transfer the grey colour he needs to transfer also the blue mutation and then it is full sense to speak of split because blue mutation is recessive. Probably it is just a problem of expression or of comprehension for my part (I have re-read the post and I think that I did not well understand the meaning).

Regards

Recio