Help with new bird ID

Moderator: Mods

Bexley

Help with new bird ID

Post by Bexley »

Hi, picked up a new ringneck today, wondering if anyone could let me know what mutation I have as the owner did not seem very knowledgable. He's a bit scruffy looking at the moment but hoping we can get him looking nice again soon. It is a cobalt of some description but not sure which. It has a white head, a pale blue body and a cobalt tail. Here's, a pic;
dog_glenn123

Re: Help with new bird ID

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Wow cant wait for you to get answer! you got me so to speed it up the guys that will know will want to see more pictures.

side on, front on, feet and if possible with his wings open/ spread.

I will have a guess at pallid cobalt harliquin.

Thanks Glenn

By the way he will look great once he mults, he was obviuosly in a smaller cage with other ringnecks thats why his scruffy.
RicksterBoy

Post by RicksterBoy »

G O R G E O U S
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

dog_glenn123 wrote: he was obviuosly in a smaller cage with other ringnecks thats why his scruffy.
Yes! I think we saved him! The cage he was in was too small, he's now in a large aviary.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hey as i said just get the other photos and upload them it will help more.
In good natural lighting without a flash.

Ta Glenn
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Just managed to get some more photos. One of top of wing and one of under and one of under tail. Hope these will help to identify him.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

I think my first quess might be right.

Recio or Madas any ideas???

Thanks Glenn
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

I do not know any mutation or combination of mutations matching this bird. I think it is a blue pallid ill bird. Why? Because of the aspect of the upper part of his beck, the blue marks on the undertail ... and his back history of careless.

After proper caring and the next moult we will see if the colours change ...

Regards

Recio
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Thanks for the replys so far. He appeared to be fed on a budgie mixture before, he now has a proper parakeet mixture with plenty of fresh fruit, he is also given calcium and vitamin supplements too.

This bird is the nearest I can find to what I have;
Sorry the picture is small, a larger photo can be seen in this link;

http://www.fabulousparrots.com.au/photos.cfm

They call this bird a Blue clearhead fallow, but obviously the bird I have appears to be cobalt but he seems otherwise the same, white head, pale body, coloured tail.
Azure

Post by Azure »

although it looks like a cobalt/blue chcf, i dont think it is as the wings are different. on your boy (beautiful btw) it is more spots and splashes of colour rather than a smooth change of colour like on most chct (clearhead/ cleartails)
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
AniVar_1

Post by AniVar_1 »

How to help your bird adjust to his new home

Let your bird watch you set up his new home. His natural curiosity will flow.

If your bird is very frightened leave the cage within sight but far enough away to give some comfort.

Move the new cage a little closer every day until it is in reach of your bird.
(This is for birds that are very nervous and frightened of new things)

Birds are very much creatures of habit and routine. A new cage is a brake in his safe routine. Most birds will see a new cage as being a scary new object
So let your feathered friend adjust to this scary object in his own time.

Place some of his favorite things in the new cage. If the cage has a play top attach toys and put some of his favorite food in the new dishes. Even if he won’t approach the new cage having his favorite things within sight and easy reach will keep him interested and his natural curiosity will draw him to try out this new place in time.

Some birds will adjust in a day. Others will take longer. But all birds will adjust and be happier and better off for having a bigger newer more comfortable cage.