HELP i don't know what to do!

Moderator: Mods

sunny lutino

HELP i don't know what to do!

Post by sunny lutino »

hey, my ringneck is 3-4 weeks old and I don't know how much of kaytees exact I must feed him during a whole day. Thanks!
sunny lutino

Re: HELP i don't know what to do!

Post by sunny lutino »

also, he does not seem eager to eat and open his mouth. He just goes somewhere where there is a corner and pushes his head inside and cuddles over there. He also has a habit of walking backwards. Is that normal? Sorry if I sound stupid.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi,

Firstly where ever you got him from should have explained this to you, and secondly you should not be hand raising a baby if you have no experience, you run a huge risk of over feeding / under feeding your baby or causing him her to aspirate.

But if you follow the mixing directions on the pack, on how many ml's to be feeding your baby, you should be feeding him / her roughly every four hours, and basically until the crop is nice and full (not over full as that can make the baby ill as well)
generally best to feed at about 6 am 10am, 2pm, 6 pm and then a small feed before bed time at say 8/9pm, then allow the baby to sleep through the night for the crop to empty completely so the food does not go sour and cause "sour crop".

Let us know how it goes, all the best! Where about are you from?
Do post pics of you little one!

oh and the behaviour you are describnig is just typical baby, they just need to get used to you!
sunny lutino

Post by sunny lutino »

Hey,

Actually I didn't buy it from a pet shop, my granddad gave it to me as a present because a few weeks ago I lost a parrot whom I was very fond of, and the ringnecks my granddad owned had babies so he gave me one of them. He showed me a bit on how to hand feed but I am not certain on how many millilitres of formula from the syringe I should feed the baby in one day. Right now I'm feeding him about 1 millilitre every 2-3 hours but I don't know if its too much or not enough.

I'm from Malta, a very small island near Europe :) ..I'll surely post a picture of Sunny :)
Thanks a lot !
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

hi there, one ml is defiantely not enough for a baby your age, at least i would say 5, provided you watch the crop and ensure you are not over feeding, you should be able to see when the crop is full, but not strecthed and see through looking.

I cant wait for breeding season here to have babies of my own again!
sunny lutino

Post by sunny lutino »

Hi, do you think I have done any damage by feeding him only 1ml per 2 hours? .. I'm going to start feeding him 5ml but i'm scared I caused him damage by underfeeding him. He sleeps a lot is that normal?

Goodluck for having baby IRNs :D:D
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi , my best advice is browse this forum under the diet & housing section and you will find alot of related posts to feeding your baby, how long have you had him?

He should be fine as long as going forward you follow a better feeding plan.

:) all the best.

ps - check out a few pics of my beautiful babies - www.photobucket.com/ringybreeder

You will see how small my one baby was when I got her!
sunny lutino

Post by sunny lutino »

Hey,
Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check out the diet and housing section. I've had him since 20th June, so this is his 3rd day here :) ..I have just given him food and his crop is nice and full ,, now he's asleep by my side :D

Thanks for helping me! Your babies are cute! :D