A few questions from someone new to IRN genetics.

Moderator: Mods

bigred

A few questions from someone new to IRN genetics.

Post by bigred »

Questions

#1. Is there a list of definition for the genetic terms like Palid, INO, split for, and many more.

#2. Can any one explain the Genetic Calculator? I have 1.1 Blue, 0.1 Olive, and 1.0 lutino I dont know how to use the calculator to see what I get from my possible crosses.

#3. Best place to buy items needed to care for hatchling. I wanna prepair in advance.

#4. Any special advice you wanna give someone just looking into breeding?
RicksterBoy

Re: A few questions from someone new to IRN genetics.

Post by RicksterBoy »

Really good questions! I look forward to seeing the replies.
Best to You ~ Jackie
bigred

Post by bigred »

RicksterBoy wrote:Really good questions! I look forward to seeing the replies.
Best to You ~ Jackie
Thanks!
I just hope someone gives me so good advice and can help with some of my questions.

I think I have figured some things out on my own as I understand genetics a little from breeding snakes.

I know what recessive, dom, and codom are
I think split means the same as het or heterozygous
I think Ino is a form of albino and if I am right than Blue, yellow, and white are all forms of albino( but dont know why blue would be)

but I havnt had any response to any of the questions yet.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

just ino by itself is a lutino bird put in blue and ino and thats an albino bird or grey,blue ,and ino would also be an albino bird go to www.ringneckmutations.com and you can find info on how the genetics work
RicksterBoy

Post by RicksterBoy »

It's started! (the responses) ~

You're way ahead of me on this... it's all quite fascinating!
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there,

Depending on where you are from depends on what the mutation will be called.

I will put what they are called and then what they are known as and how the mutation works.
Green = Green (Wild type) and is also dominent and if you enter nothing in gencalc you will pair green to green. Mixed with either Grey will be a grey green or with violet will be violet green with the ino gene you get lutino's.

Grey = Grey and is a dominent so if it where to breed then depending on what its paired with some of the babies will show the grey gene. (Genetically = Grey Blue)

Violet = Violet and is a dominent so if it where to breed then depending on what its paired with some of the babies will show the Violet gene. (Genetically = Violet Blue)

Blue = Blue Chromosone and again depending on what other mutation the bird has depends on what colours you get, with ino you get albino.

Dark factor = Cobalt and the effect this has in a basic way is to darken the bird on the blue series mutation.

Pastel = Turquiose(Parblue) and can be attached to most coloured birds, on its own on a green bird makes the bird appear turquiose on the body, in blue series the are odd colours on the wings and front body(its hard to explain).

Ino = Ino now this mutation depending on which colour is mixed with has varying effects, it will mask both the violet and grey gene so the bird will look white and it makes a green bird look yellow, its caused by the removal/ lack of melinen. sex linked

Lacewing = Pallid and again depending the the colour mixed with has different effects because it is linked to ino gene it will lighten a bird and give it light coloured flight feather and head.
Sex linked.

Cinnimon = Cinnimon and if on the blue bird makes it look light blue and on grey it looks silver, Violet look lavender.it has a lightening effect on the bird. Sex Linked.

Opaline = Opaline and the effect it has is to darken the head of the bird in the same colour the bird is. Sex Linked.

They are the basics and should give you enough of an idea to start with.

The calculator.
1.0 = Male
0.1 = Female
split means the bird has the mutation gene but doesnt display it and can pass it to its young as visual on them. Males can be split to any none dominent gene.
Females can be split blue, turquiose or any recessive gene (not sex linked)
Dominent means if the bird has it you will see it.
At the bottom of the calculator you can choose to only show visual results.

You olive will be grey green in the calculator a true olive is a green bird that has the dark factor gene. To enter this in the calculator click on the right handside grey only and you will see that when you choose calculate it will give grey green.

The gear for hatchlings at most decent pet shops that sell alot of birds you can get the gear for.

Advise for breeding is to search this site for pairing IRN's together because you cant just put them in a cage and walk away.
Female IRN's are very aggressive and will kill the males so make sure you have time to watch them when first introducing them.
Put the female in a cage out side the males aviary for a week to help introduce them.
Put the female in the males aviary before putting the nest box in, once they sleep next to each other they should have paired up and them introduce the nestbox.

Do all of the above about 5 weeks before breeding season (mid winter)

Thanks Glenn
P.S. any other Q's just ask.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Good work Glenn.

Have you put your nest boxes in yet?
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

thanks Glenn, its explains alot!!
Greatings from Flanders, Belgium!!!

Lucas
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Rod038

I dont take mine out as the birds are paired and never split,
if i introduce new hens then i pull the boxes out until they are paired.

Mine look as though they will go early this year.

Lucas thats just a start if you would like to go indepth about it just ask and i will try and help.

Ta Glenn
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

dog_glenn123 wrote:Lucas thats just a start if you would like to go indepth about it just ask and i will try and help.

Ta Glenn

thanks, see:

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 096#p74096
Greatings from Flanders, Belgium!!!

Lucas