Normal or not for Color

Moderator: Mods

Zananv

Normal or not for Color

Post by Zananv »

Hello,

I will say that Beaker is going through a first molt right now...and is about 10 months.

Prior to molt, he was a pretty tourqoiuse, is it normal to have the Blue/white marbled feathers?

Is this what his coloring will be when molting is over or will he go back to blue?

At 5 months
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... aker-1.jpg

Current (sorry for the camera phone...doesn't do his color justice)
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... beaker.jpg
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... eaker1.jpg
ellieelectrons

Re: Normal or not for Color

Post by ellieelectrons »

I've personally not seen an IRN like that. I think you have some sort of interesting mutation there! Im not up on mutations so i dont know how rare it is. What were you told beaker was when you got him/her? Blue? Turquoise? Do you know anything about the colour of the parents?

Just to let you know, my blue IRN's feathers don't do that after a molt.

Ellie.
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

When i got him, I was told he was a Turquoise. Unfortunately, I do not know any info on the parents and didn't think to ask. I do know he had an interesting mix of siblings.

1 grey, 2 turquoise(one of them being Beaker) and one very marbled looking turquoise/green. (more marbled than my blue/white)

I loved turquoise/green coloring, but the bird was not friendly, and i was looking more at the personality.
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there he is not Turquiose he is a blue bird but at a guess it looks to be pied!!!.

Before the mult he looked to be normal blue bird,but after he looks to be showing piedness.

Now there are different way the pied mutation behave some get more noticable as they age and others less. I have never seen a bird look normal until a mult then show such a straong piedness, It will be very interseting to see what happens after the next mult.

What do you feed him just to make sure he isnt having a diet defficiancy?

Thanks Glenn
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

Beaker's on a Pellet diet. Gets a few seed/nuts for snack, and has fresh veggies every day. (loves any and all peppers and broccholi!!) Has quite the appetite :)

Believe it or not...he won't eat any fresh fruit!! only dried..but that is a sometimes treat.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Well he looks in good health, you feed him all the right food so should be OK.

Wiat untill his mult finnishs (once his tail is long) and post new pictures!.

My birds love corn cobs they eat them until the cob is gone.

But they wont touch steamed veges not one of them.
Check this post again tomorrow and hopefull a couple of the other guys will comment on what
they think of his colouring now that the weekends over.
If it is a pied then they are worth alot of money what country are you in and i will try and give you an estimate.

Ta Glenn
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

I'm in the US.... Las Vegas specifically :)
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

OK if thats the case and it is pied its most likley a Dom.Pied.

And i blieve they go for around $2000 to $4000 depending on colour if i am wrong i will be corrected trust me.

Ta Glenn
madas

Post by madas »

dog_glenn123 wrote:OK if thats the case and it is pied its most likley a Dom.Pied.

And i blieve they go for around $2000 to $4000 depending on colour if i am wrong i will be corrected trust me.

Ta Glenn
Hi,

i don't think he is a pied at all. @Zananv: please bring it to the vet and let the bird test against PBFD. this disease is know to produce pied markings.
dog_glenn123 wrote: Well he looks in good health, you feed him all the right food so should be OK.
HM. I don't agree. He looks very frayed (could be the moult). And the tail feathers aren't ok too. They don't look like
normal once.

So please check the bird against all common bird diseases. If all findings are negative then perhaps you have a new kind of a pied mutation. but now i am sure he is ill. Sorry.

Greetings.

madas
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

madas wrote:
dog_glenn123 wrote:OK if thats the case and it is pied its most likley a Dom.Pied.

Ta Glenn
Hi,

i don't think he is a pied at all. @Zananv: please bring it to the vet and let the bird test against PBFD. this disease is know to produce pied markings.
dog_glenn123 wrote: Well he looks in good health, you feed him all the right food so should be OK.
HM. I don't agree. He looks very frayed (could be the moult). And the tail feathers aren't ok too. They don't look like
normal once.

So please check the bird against all common bird diseases. If all findings are negative then perhaps you have a new kind of a pied mutation. but now i am sure he is ill. Sorry.

Greetings.

madas

Hi Madas i hope your wrong!
Because i hope i havent given bad advise.

I also hope its a new version of pied because so far its the only one ive seen that looks any good in the way of the marking on the wings.

Ta Glenn
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

I'll get him to the vet as soon as i can :(
madas

Post by madas »

molossus wrote:Pity I am unable to see the pics. If the pied mottles started at the mantle and the back and progressed then you could have a health problem. I have also seen a normal blue irn which progressively moulted into a beautiful pied bird which shows the neck ring.
In my humble opinion this is either borne of a deficiency or a 'progressive pied" and not a dominant pied. The dominant mutation has to be visual at birth if I am not mistaken.
Hi Lee,

here are two of the pictures which shows the uncommon feathers best.

So what do you think? A tail which points to the left and to the right for a normal sitting bird is very uncommon!!!

greetings.

madas
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

I can tell you that he has always fanned his tail whenever he steps up. he's missing the feathers on the tail right now....don't know if that makes a difference.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there,

I think what they are saying and i didnt see it before in th pictures now posted by Madas is that you see how the tail feathers are starting to grow but they are squiggly (left n right) as they grow and this is not normal a healthy IRN's feathers will grow in a straight line and not show any sign of deformaty as they grow,

They can spread them open but they should still be straight.

I would take him to the vet as Madas said.

Good luck Glenn
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

He's going in on Monday morning....I'll keep you guys posted.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Probably best bet i think just to be safe, make sure if its not an avien vet that you explain the possible deseases the guys mentioned.

Ta Glenn
julie

Post by julie »

I will see if i can find the thread with a members bird that had this condition. I hope we (maddas) are wrong but it didnt have a good outcome.

ok this thread started the topic off, sorry the pics arent visable but the rest can be read.http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=1367
julie

Post by julie »

ok i found some of the topic i was looking for http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1902

This was after carrie posted some pics of atticus and some people thought maybe pied but it turned out to be the dreaded feather disease.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I hope all turns out fine and you end up having a pied. As far as cost if it is a blue pied, you can find them as low as $500, turquoise pied for $800, Violet pied for $1200, Turquoise violet $1400. I am sure if you do not know where to go these prices could double.
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

I have a very good Avian Vet that we go to....so i'm sure he'll be able to examine him more carefully.

I just hope i don't have to wait the 3-6 weeks to find the results though.....

Interestingly enough, I did get him from a petstore, and luckily with how contagious it is, he is a solo pet bird.

Thank you all for your advice...hoping for the bestest...but prepared for the worst :(
Zananv

Post by Zananv »

Just an update....

Vet doesn't believe it's PBFD and didn't recommend testing quite yet.. He thinks it's nutitional...and has me trying a different pellet for a few months while i keep an eye on him for any further changes. Since he's a solo pet bird, not at risk of getting any other birds sick, and not a breeder, he said before spending the money and putting the bird under anethesia, try the diet....he has said he's seen similar instances where change in diet made the difference. If he is positive for PBFD, waiting for testing wouldn't hurt either as if he was positive...nothing we could do at this point.

He did say the tail feathers were not great, a little twisted. but the wing feathers were perfectly fine in formation (minus the coloration)

He gave me other pellets to try. We're going to try the nutrition route. He took some pictures of him for his file to keep track.

Thank you all for your advice. I wouldn't have known to take him in if it wasn't for you. I"m gonna keep a close eye on him, and hope that nutrition in the next couple of months makes a difference.

Thanks again!! :)
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Good luck and i hope it is just the diet.
Thanks for the update.

Glenn
sunnan

Post by sunnan »

Good luck I hope is a diet :|
_Lady_Flame_

Post by _Lady_Flame_ »

he is beautifull <3
view my gallery of drawings and photographs on deviantart http://purebloodrose.deviantart.com/

Hize01

Post by Hize01 »

Looks like my mates bird, he did have green on his wings but after multing he doesnt have as much, his wings are white like that.
Heavy Metal Forever!!..................
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

@Zananv can you please share what happened to your bird ?

thanks
smick

Post by smick »

I think its pbfd,because about 5years ago i bought a young turquoise hen thats tail feathers went like that at first moult which i believe isoften when it will show itself.i removed the bird and introduced it to nulla-nulla as i wouldn't risk the rest of my birds,the cock that was in with her is fine and never caught it,luckly as he's a beautifull turquoise blue pallid,bred with him now for three years all young fine.i think it depends on the species as to the effects of the decease,cockies it's the kiss of death,budgies can show it at first feather up but seem to moult out normal at first moult and survive but should not be used to breed with,i believe rosella's and lorrikeets also recover. i don't no if ringnecks recover and as a pet and not used for breeding he may still have a long and happy life.
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Hi Smick; if it is PBFD then most of the effected adult birds may recover; however they still remain a carrier. It mainly effects younger birds where it can be fatal. A perfect example of naturally occurring cases of PBFD was found in the echo parakeets which are from the ringneck family.

Here are some snaps taken of the effected echo parakeets :-

http://www.mauritian-wildlife.org/appli ... with-PBFD-(Elaine-Fr.jpg

http://www.arkive.org/mauritius-parakee ... =portletV3

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... low-patch/
king kong

Post by king kong »

HI
the bird is simple Blue but if after healthy diet the piedness continue then it could b blue Pied but one thing we should keep in mind that how comes a breeder can Give away a New mutation to a new comer(which takes years n tons of hard work to develop ) ???????? hope u get my point
(sorry if i hurt u but we should b realistic)
@ Zananv me too 100% sure that it is not PBFD becos at initial stages a hob-bier can easily see the Straight horizontal bars in feathers (will soon post the reference link as soon as i find :twisted: my computer mischief not find at the moment)
more over as u mentioned above that the birds is reluctant to eat Fresh vegies try to mold it on fresh veggies and avoid artificial pallet diet as experienced breeders recommend it not more than 10% of diet remaining full of fresh veggies
hope ur bird get well soon
:P
regards
smick

Post by smick »

zananv, did you get the bird tested to find out if it had pbfd,thanks smick.