What mutation is that?

Moderator: Mods

Lukiz

What mutation is that?

Post by Lukiz »

What mutation is that? or is it normal blue mutation? will the ring on the neck show in future? maybe the head will become blue?
Attachments
pa.jpg
Recio

Re: What mutation is that?

Post by Recio »

Hi;

It is a blue pallid. Probably it is also cinnamon (look at the nails colour: if they are white it means that it is also cinnamon) and very probably it is a female (pallid and cinnamon are sex linked mutations and thus it is easier to get females than males displaying these mutations).

Which were her parents?

Recio
Lukiz

Post by Lukiz »

I don't know I bought he/she from pet store and they were to lazy to do research, oh and he/she is just ~ 6 month old
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Looks like a cobalt pallid. Most blue pallids that I have seen have a lighter shade of blue.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Hi there Recio, since it is a pallid would'nt the toenails be white regardless if it is or is'nt split to cinnamon? I have two pallids and they both have white nails, just wondering if mine might be split to cinnamon as well.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi;

Pallid is a partial mutation of melanin, and thus, it retains some melanin. This is the reason that the nails are light but not white. In cinnamon birds there is not any melanin and the nails look white.

Cinnamon is a sex-linked recessive mutation. It means that there are not split females and that split males do not display any cinnamon feature. To join in a male IRN pallid and cinnamon mutations, which are both sex-linked, is a very improbable thing because you need a double crossing over between both mutations. It is easier for females (just one crossing over)

Recio
sluvm

Post by sluvm »

Hi

I recently bought a white IRN. I just call it an albino because it has pink eyes, feet and nails. When I go outside with her there is the slightest blue shade only visible from certain angles and if your looking really hard in sunlight. What would this be? The guy at the place I bought it told me it was female after he felt her genital area. I did not know this was possible with IRNs. Have named her Daisy anyway, lol. Clarification would be good... I will post some pics in the coming days.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think the blue you are seeing is called a "suffusion".... and I don't know anything about it other than the word, however there were some posts about it last year some time. If you do a search, you should find them.

.... and I've never heard of any external examination (other than the visible neck ring) being used to tell the gender of an IRN.... but there are lots of things I don't know!

When I had peachfaces when I was a teenager, one breeder tried to tell gender by feeling the breastbone. A female would have a wider breastbone to allow eggs to pass through, although he admitted that it was very difficult to tell with young ones.... turned out he was wrong with the baby one anyway... I ended up with a girl named "Ralph" out of that little exercise. She didn't seem to mind though :o .... she was probably the most gentle-natured bird I've ever had.

Hope some others can shed a bit more light on the subject for you.

Good luck!

Ellie.