Need advice on green violet

Moderator: Mods

rosemaryalice

Need advice on green violet

Post by rosemaryalice »

I am going to pick up a green violet female IRN in about a week. Is there anything that I need to look for to be sure that is what it is. The pictures the breeder sent me look like an olive type of green with a violet tail. It is in an aviary with all blues and violets. She is about a year old and I want her to breed with my blue cinnamon next year. The pictures look like the few that I have been able to find online but I just wondered if there is anything I need to look for. I would appreciate any information.
Recio

Re: Need advice on green violet

Post by Recio »

Hi,

The description is correct for a green violet.

Look at the nails to be sure that she is not also cinnamon: cinnamon birds display white nails. If she ever is cinnamon and you pair her to your cinnamon male you will never get visual violets but lavenders, since all the progeny would display the cinnamon mutation.

Regards

Recio
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

I know that she is split to blue which is what I was looking for. Thank you for the good information. Rosemary
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

I think the breeder has a lavender. What happens if you breed a lavender to the blue cinnamon?
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi;

Lavender is a violet blue cinnamon .... with your male (blue cinnamon) ... the offspring will be all males and females cinnamon ... no way to get your blue violet baby.

That's the reason I told you to verify the nails colour.

Good luck

Recio
Last edited by Recio on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

Thank you. Your advice is going to prevent some costly mistakes! There is no other way I could learn enough to make the right choices. I get attached to my birds and if I have to keep adding the right mate for them I will have too many pairs to house. Its better to know what I'm doing in the first place.
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

I picked up my violet green from the breeder yesterday. She was vet checked and surgically sexed. They had 3, a male and 2 females. The one I picked is and 09 baby that is olive green with violet and blue tail and violet on the edges of her wings. She is split to blue and has brownish nails so is not cinnamon. He said she should be ready to breed this year. She is caged next to the blue cinnamon so they can get acquainted before they go into a flight cage together. He had some beautiful violets so hopefully she has good genes!!