Husky?

Moderator: Mods

PythonzEve

Husky?

Post by PythonzEve »

Hi all, this isn't a color mutation question but a size related question. I just recently went to a bird show with a good number of IRNs and was fortunate enough to see pretty much every mutation readily on the market (very tempted to grab a violet!) :) But as I looked at all these birds, I noticed that they all seemed a bit small compared to my Sukha. The younger birds that are the same age as him were slightly over half his size and even as I held adults they seemed so small in comparison, maybe 70-80% of Sukha's size but they were all about the same size as each other (including his own parents who were at the show!), so it made me wonder why Sukha is huskier than other Ringnecks at such a young age (taller and thicker)?

Is this just a chance growth/size deformation or is there something I should be worried about? I haven't gotten a T-stand to weigh him yet on my kitchen scale, else I would furnish that information.

Thanks!
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

pinkdevil

Re: Husky?

Post by pinkdevil »

Although genetics play a part in the size, good food at the time the chick is growing as well as after also help in a nice sized, healthy bird.

I have read sometimes there could be a cross of Alexandrines with a ringneck to bring back a bit of sizing in the bird, also some ringies sizes are slowly becoming smaller with breeding and line breeding, but this is only what I have read.

I have noticed with my birds, there is a slight difference in sizes.
My Jasper came from good sized parents and she is a good sized bird, one of the larger sized birds I have. The grey I have in my pic is a nice size as well as my greens.
PythonzEve

Re: Husky?

Post by PythonzEve »

Yes I saw some Alexandrines there as well, like twice the size of IRNs :P For some reason though they just looked the slightest bit awkward to me though, like IRN impersonators but... Off... Hehehe I don't like them quite as much as I do Indian Ringnecks <shrugs>
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown