Couple of Questions about our New MP

Moderator: Mods

LisaK

Couple of Questions about our New MP

Post by LisaK »

We have noticed that little JoJo has a very distinct almost peculiar "aroma." All our other birds have a fresh clean smell, but poor little JoJo has kind of a tangy smell. Is this common for MPs? Or is it because the people we got him from rarely gave him baths.

Also, he does not like his head touched. And he never turns it down for scritches like our Grey and Senegal do. Is this an MP thing? Or is it because he's never had anybody scritch his head or neck?

These are probably silly questions, but I didn't know if these issues were species-specific or JoJo-specific, resulting from his neglected life at his old house.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
Buddy - 29-year-old Cockatiel
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i'm not sure with mp's but cookie smells weird when he moults or hasnt bathed for a couple of days. i'd say he's just not used to head scratches if there isnt any sores or anything he might not like it cookie will let me pat his beak and body but not head and sid will let me pat his head but not his beak or body :roll: hope that helps i really do love mp's they are gorgeous my partner reckons they look like criminals with the lil beards :lol:
LisaK

Post by LisaK »

Hi Alana,
Are all of your bird in the ringneck family -- Cookie and Sid? If Cookie smells funny, then it must be a ringneck thing, huh?
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
Buddy - 29-year-old Cockatiel
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

nah sid is a love bird he is a bossy lil s*#t too. i dunno i think cookie smells weird when moultin my partner just thinks i'm nuts :lol:
Donna

Post by Donna »

Lisa the smell you are smelling is common they get excited or sexual come on. Pionus and Amazons have a paticular oder when they get excited. Zons smell more musky and pionus has kind of flower scent.

Most birds do not like things such as your hand over their heads and this behavior not liking to be scritched on the head could be from his past.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both