Understanding IRN behaviours and body language

Moderator: Mods

Miss Jojo

Understanding IRN behaviours and body language

Post by Miss Jojo »

Hi my name is Jo and I am new to the world of IRN's. Although not afraid I am very wary of my bird and I am keen to understand what my Bluey may be trying to tell me. I have tried searching the site but cant find what I'm looking for...so here goes...

History - we adopted Bluey 3 weeks ago...she was originally rescued by a friend from flying freely in our local area about 6 months ago having been on the loose for at least 6 weeks. Sex and age are therefore unknown.

She has a couple of behaviours that I am unsure about and wondered if they are signs of aggression , bonding or concentration? We have already worked out that a ruffled head and eye pining mean 'leave me alone!' but these ones have us confused....

1. At times when we are talking to her in her cage or when she is sitting on the arm of the lounge beside us she lowers her chest pushing it towards the ground, tilts her head back, pins her eyes and makes a little chirpy sound. Very scary to a novice and puts us on high alert! Is this a warning before a strike? She has not made any movement towards us but then again we dont give it time to see.

2. With some foods she will hold it at eye level as if looking intently at it, pins her eyes and moves her foot back and forth as if rubbing it against her cheek all the while making little sounds. I'm thinking this is her being inquisitive and checking out something she either really likes or is unsure of.

In general Bluey is well behaved and as each day goes by she get more inquisitive and game...flying about our small house investigating what we are up to. We give her plenty of flying time and she does come and sit on shoulders, on the arm of chairs and likes to share our food!

I'd be grateful for any advice that will help us understand our new friend
bec

Re: Understanding IRN behaviours and body language

Post by bec »

hi behaviour ! is the female mating position now this doesnt nessesarily means shes female aas you said your not sure of age & juveniles do both male & female behaviour
2 well i would say that she is realy enjoying that particular pice of food
dont worry everything youve said is normal