WHEN is this 'bluffing' thing supposed to start.

Moderator: Mods

muz

WHEN is this 'bluffing' thing supposed to start.

Post by muz »

Other than the occassional over-enthusiastic nibble, Merlin has never even looked like biting me. He's about 3 1/2 months old now and the only 'dangerous' thing that he does is try to climb up my face. (ouch)

Do you think we've avoided the bluffing, or is it yet to come?
Last edited by muz on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
muz

Re: When is this 'bluffing' thing supposed to start.

Post by muz »

I just read the bluffing article but it doesn't say when the bluffing starts.

Doesn't ANYONE have an opinion on this?
muz

Re: When is this 'bluffing' thing supposed to start.

Post by muz »

One week later, 28 views and no advice?
Shane7285

Re: WHEN is this 'bluffing' thing supposed to start.

Post by Shane7285 »

hey muz,

I have found an article on bluffing in general. Here is the link http://birds.about.com/od/behaviorandtr ... uffing.htm

Its about bluffing in parrots, not specifically ringnecks, but states it usually happens between 4 months to 1 year old.

Hope this helps

Regards

Shane
muz

Post by muz »

Thanks Shane.
I assume you've got your ringneck now. How's it going?
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

hey muz

yeah I have him now. I finally remembered to get some photos, I am about to put them in the photo section. Yeah he's going good. he is good with food, not afraid to try anything I put in front of him. But his favourite is grapes by far, he will choose them over apple or anything else.

How is yours going?

Regards

Shane
Elivia

Post by Elivia »

Hi Shane, What colour ringneck did you get? Did you end up getting a Blue coloured ringneck?
Kray Twins

Post by Kray Twins »

More to the point, why do you want bluffing to start?

You may have been lucky and there's no power struggle between owner/pet. Be happy without the bluffing, the little blighters know exactly where to bite you when they want to hurt...
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Elivia,

yeah i got a blue male. I guess you have probably seen the photos by now.

Regards

Shane
muz

Post by muz »

Kray Twins wrote:More to the point, why do you want bluffing to start?
Who said I WANT the bluffing to start?
I didn't.
I just want to know when it starts - if it starts.
My relationship with Merlin is pretty magic at the moment and I just wanted to know if I may still be in for a nasty time down the line.

Shane, must be something about those Sunshine Coast grapes, eh? Mango is a close second, followed by apples.
Elivia

Post by Elivia »

i dont know if Bluey is bluffing or not. i still dont get this bluffing thing. but when he wants to bite me and be naughty he will. i guess he has been bluffing me for the last four months as my ears have copped it as well as my lip and he even drew blood under my nose! He only seems to do it when he is being naughty though. i say 'no' and then he just has to bite me! :cry:

The worst thing happened the other day though (which actually upset me a bit personally!). When i set the table for dinner i place the bread out as my partner has bread and butter with dinner. Bluey is always (and tries when i am not looking) getting into the bread packet. its so anoying as he bites through the packet all the time! Anyway i caught him yet again trying to destroy the loaf of bread. i went up to the table put my index finger out and said 'no bluey' in a stern but freindly manner. He heard the 'no' word and snatched at the bread again and then looked at me as if to say 'yeah i just did it again so what are you going to do about it!'. This went on for about five times at me saying no and him biting back at the bread, pinning his eyes and him not letting me take the bread away. and then all of a sudden he just lunged at me! :evil: He went straight for my face and bit me on the lip! it actually bought tears to my eyes! i felt so sad because i am his mum and he threw the biggest tantrum yet and bit my lip out of spite! My partner was laughing at me! He put Bluey in his cage then we had dinner. i got Bluey out after dinner and he was doing his usual little dance thing on my shoulder and wolf whistleing at me so he was back to normal again thank god !

Has anyone had their bird 'bluff' like this? i mean biting is biting...but flying for your lip and biting and leaving a sore on my face for days after???
effekt

Post by effekt »

Sounds like Bluey is testing you to see what he can get away with. A typical teenager!

My IRNs have started doing something similar but its different enough that I'm starting my own thread to discuss it.

Good luck with Bluey, it really is a shock when your "sweet" little bird suddenly gets nippy but I keep telling myself so long as I handle it well, the phase will pass :)