Update On Smokey Attacking Me When I'm On The Mobile Phone

Moderator: Mods

laine

Update On Smokey Attacking Me When I'm On The Mobile Phone

Post by laine »

Well, it has been a few weeks and I have finally stopped the attacks. I practiced with the phone ringing and going to another room and closing the door. He didn't like this at all - Mum on the phone and in another room. Didn't take too long and he seemed to get the idea. If he attacks me while I am on the phone I will go in another room and he won't be able to come. Soon enough, however, he started again so with practice I started putting him away and of course he hated that so much that when the phone rang he flew round the house to avoid being caught. To cut a long story short, we got through it and he doesn't attack me any more while I am on the mobile phone. He now, sort of, ignores the phone. I have, however, discovered why he did it in the first place. It was all for attention. He didn't like me giving attention to the phone and not him.
HIS NEW BEHAVIOUR :roll: - The phone rings and Smokey ignores it and me. After a few seconds he comes and sits in front of me or on my lap, leans forward, bows his head and starts clucking. This is the position he assumes when he wants a rub and a scratch. If I ignore him, which is funny to do on purpose, he will tilt his head to the side and look up at me as if to say, "come on, I'm being cute even though I am demanding your attention".
It is classic behaviour our human children display when Mum wants to talk on the phone. He just wants to be the centre of attention - ALL THE TIME
I must admit, this new behaviour is much more manageable than the attacks & apparently he sounds really funny to the other person on the other end of the phone. He has been described as anything from a whimpering puppy to a monkey :lol: :lol: :lol: For as long as I am on the phone he will just sit and enjoy his little body massage / neck scratches. Sometimes he stays after I have finished on the phone but other times as soon as I put the phone down, he's off.
Hmmmm Who's the boss in my house? LOL
**_ASTERI_BABI_**

Re: Update On Smokey Attacking Me When I'm On The Mobile Phone

Post by **_ASTERI_BABI_** »

hey just wana say that smokey look pretty similar to my asteri, which is exciting for me caus i am a first time irn mama and i have only been seeing the green variety on all the sites i had been doing research on and although i felt special to have a unique colour it was bazaarly harder for me to relate lol.
how old is he/she?? Asteri is 5 months old.
I am still very much a newby, we are in the "getting to know you" phase, ive had him almost 2 months now =) He is soing new thing everyday and it can be a lil confusing and hard to keep up! I am also a little scared of him when i let him out of his cage, he on the other hand is perfectly confident hehe - im just worried he will hurt himself or bite me. he was hand raised so he is better at this than me, i would love any advice you or anyone else has and also if some specific behaviours could be explained to me?
he has started doing a little odd dance where he streched his neck up sticks his cheast out and pins his eyes as he sways his head back and forth usually at his hanging block toy and almost always when i say the phrase "hi baby helloooo" over n over in a sweet high pitched way (im trying to teach him to talk lol).. he doesnt do this everytime i say that but when he does do it i notice its after ive said that phrase. what is the eye pinning????
he also pins his eyes when u try to touch him with ur fingers he does that and makes a funny lil swarky sound and threatens to bite. sigh, im just trying to get close to the lil character! I mostly do this while he is the cage though, like through the bars when he comes up to me while im talkn to him or feeding him or i put my hand in the cage.
oh and also when does this bluffing thing i read on here start??? i am sooooo scared! ehehehe :lol:
cheers!
= L =
laine

Post by laine »

Hi, Smokey is now just over 4 years old. He has changed quite alot since the photo in my avatar. (Should up date it hey? lol).
I have been through many ups and downs with him but over the years we have a very special bond.
Smokey does the funny dance to me - he looooooooves me. He also tries to feed me YUK. He shares all my food and follows me everywhere.
You will find lots of information on the site, you can even search for the information you are looking for. From memory bluffing starts around 12 months old. Smokey still tries to push the boundaries, but that's an IRN ( and kids LOL ). My Smokey is very friendly and owns everyone in the house even though I am his special partner/mum. My son has a cockatiel but Smokey hates seeing Dale with his bird - Smokey yells at him. Smokey flies freely round the house while I am home, but generally he will hang out in the same room as me, flying after me if I get up and move to a different room (even the toilet!!)
I never imagined having such a bond with a bird as I have with Smokey, it's very special.
Smokey doesn't have great speech clarity but is extremely tame and interactive. He understands everything I say to him and responds to my commands about 98% of the time. He even comes to me when I call him. If I can't see him I call out "where are you?" and he calls back to me till I see him. It's funny cos sometimes he's right under my nose but some how he manages to camoflage himself in the surroundings.
Good luck with you little one.
**_ASTERI_BABI_**

Post by **_ASTERI_BABI_** »

hey,
thanks for the advice! aww smokey sounds so fun and adorable, i am beginging to realise how clever irn are :)
oh so does he have his ring now??? i would love to see what my asteri will look like when he gets his ring in a couple of years.. smokey must look so handsome.
I am having alot of fun, and reading all these posts here make me that much more excited about watching him grom and learn.

cheers

= L =