Adopted and Scary!!!

Moderator: Mods

coreyb8508

Adopted and Scary!!!

Post by coreyb8508 »

Hey guys!!! I'm Corey! I am very new to the IRN world! About two weeks ago, I adopted an IRN. Her name is Izzy. She is about one year, four months old. Before I being with my questions, let me give you a little background information on how I came to be the proud, yet scared, owner of Izzy....
I have experience in rearing conures and some novice experience in Quakers. I have been longing for another companion for quite some time. So, my fiance' surprised me two weeks ago with an IRN. Izzy was handfed, but kept in the backroom of a pet store the first for or five months of her life. The pet shop keeper was going to use her as a breeder, from what I was told. An employee of the pet store fell in love with her and took her home. She remained in his possession for about seven or eight months. He had recently gotten married and was overwhelmed with various pets, and decided it would be best to give Izzy up for adoption. After I was surprised with her, I IMMEDIATELY contacted the previous owner for records, history, etc. He told me she was a "one person pet" and would primarily bond with one person. Seeing as how I would pretty much be the only person interacting with her on a daily basis, Izzy seemed perfect! Of course, it's going to take some time to get used to a new environment, new person, etc. However, the past week I have started trying to work with her; slowly introducing myself to her, making sure she has a variety of foods. I leave her cage (which is HUGE) door open and let her wonder around. I've even built her a play gym. to which she has only been on once or twice. So here come my questions....
Right now, I can't even change her food or water without risking an attack. I read on the site about bluffing, so one day I decided to call her bluff. Instead of putting on gloves or moving quickly to change her food, I let her approach me. Needless to say, one attack has turned into several, and my poor fingers just can't take anymore! I have researched and read time and time again that these birds are wonderful pets, great companions, and eager to learn and please their companions. I need some pointers on how to start our bonding process. Any advice given would be appreciated. Any beginner tips? Hand taming tips? Today for the first time I was able to get her out of her cage with a perch, took her to another part of my house, and she sat on my shoulder (her choice, not mine) for about half an hour. I hate to say it, but I'm honestly scared of her!!! What do I need to do? I want us to succeed so badly. I don't want to give her up, but I'm becoming somewhat discouraged. Am I expecting too much too fast? Let me reiterate, I am knowledgeable primarily with handfeeding and very young birds. With her being in an adolescent state, are there any special concerns I need to be aware of? I am sorry for such a long post, but I want to provide the best, most loving home possible for Izzy, and I need all the help I can get! Thanks so much! I look forward to your posts.
Roxxy

Re: Adopted and Scary!!!

Post by Roxxy »

As a new owner of a IRN myself, I can not really give too much advice. Congratulations on getting her to step up on the perch, you should be pleased with that.

I found with my bird her with me to a different room and letting her interact with me or just watch and be around myself worked quite well for my Koko. I am fortunate that Koko is a much younger bird though as I am not at that more willful age like you are with your bird.

I think you need to allow for a little more time for getting used to one another before you become too discouraged.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hey Corey

I have not had my guy very long either, but I have been searching this forum for a while and have gained knowledge that way. I would say two weeks is a very short time, and she will need more time to settle in. You need to take things very slow and at her pace, if you try and rush, it will take longer to gain her trust. The easiest way is through food. I would find out what special treats she really likes by placing a number of different things on the table, she will pick her favourite out first. Once you have this, start by giving this to her through the cage bars. If she won't take it, try placing it somewhere in the cage and sitting next to it, and talk quietly to her. Slowly get closer to her whilst doing this, and once you have her taking the treats from your hand, you can begin to offer them through the open door of your cage. Just keep this process going, and eventually you will be able to have her step on your hand for a treat, then she will see your not so bad after all.

Regards

Shane
coreyb8508

Post by coreyb8508 »

I have let her get out on her own. She climbs to the top of her cage (which is taller than I am), and then we play the game of chase Izzy with the perch til she gets on it. I get her to a different room, and she is so sweet! She steps up, takes treats from my hand, and gives kisses. But when she is on her play gym or anywhere NEAR her cage, she turns into vampire Izzy and it quite discontent until blood is drawn haha. Today we had an excellent training session. I found she likes mango and dried banana. Last night she had some celery and lettuce (we are on the same diet haha). She takes treats from my hand already. You guys are right. Guess I am rushing it. Please pray for me to have patience (and for my hands to heal quickly!!) Any ongoing advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
coreyb8508

Post by coreyb8508 »

Well we just tried yet another training session...She hopped on my shoulder. When I tried to get her off, she attacked my hands, my face, and my ear. I need some serious advice. It's been almost a month that I've her, and so far I see no progress. I'm getting to where I'm actually scared of this little girl! Was it a mistake getting an adolescent instead of a younger bird?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hmmm......I know the 'amputated body parts' syndrom well! :lol:

Seems like things are not working for you at the moment, perhaps a different approach as each bird is different.

Lets start at the beginning and look at this from Izzys prospective.
She has been removed from her 'partner', (as she is a 1 person bird), her home and her life and 'thrown' into a strange house, with strangers, sounds, routines and smells.
She could be a bit stressed and reacting the only way she knows how....beak.... and trying to show her dominance and where she is going to fit in with this new family. And you have confirmed her 'top dog' staus by reacting, (even though it is hard when you are being shredded), and showing fear. So at the moment it is Izzy 1- you 0.

Firsty, to give you back a bit of control, if her wings are not clipped I would do so, makes her a bit more independent on you to get from A to B. I prefer to see my birds happily flying around but I have clipped birds that get too big for their boots. I find that I only need to clip once then when the feathers grow back, they have decided I am not the ogre after all. :)

Secondly, as she is drawing blood I definitely would NOT allow her on the shoulder or anywhere near the face. In her mind the higher she is perched, for example shoulder, then the higher in the rank she is. Have a look at other animals and how their leader is treated from the other members....the boss gets to eat first, best bed, etc. This is the position Izzy is trying to gain over you. So do not allow her on shoulder or anywhere that she is eyelevel or higher.

Another thing I would try is to start at the begining and re gain her trust. You can do this by talking to her and feeding her treats, even if this is done through the cage as you said it is a huge cage so her being in there for a few days shouldn't hurt.
Ringes LOVE their food and will do almost anything to have some of what you are having....great bribery! :)

Look for signs that signal she is going to go in for the kill....eyes pinning, her stance changes.....sometimes it is very subtle but after awhile you will be able to pick up on her signals and be able to react or difuse the situation before it reaches to bloodshed. lol

One thing that was told to me to try, (and helped alot...thanks Fah :) ), was when they are naughty, place them on a perch in a quiet boring room where there is nothing to do or see for a few minutes. No toys, no mirror, no food, no window, just boring! Toilet is a great boring room :). After a couple of minutes go back in and pay her attention. if she bites again, repeat the process for a longer time. Remember to make a bit of a fuss over her when you go back in so she realises that when she is good, she gets attention or rewards, when she is naughty, it is just her and nothing else.

The clicker method seems to work well for some people. The idea is to train the bird correct behaviour from unacceptable behaviour. To begin with, click the clicker, (or something similar like a pen etc) then reward with a small treat. As she likes mango this would be a good treat for rewards only. That way she may realise the only way she will get the yummy mango treat is to behave or do what you are asking. Continue with the 'click' then imediate treat for around 5 or 10 minutes. Any longer and the bird becomes bored and full. Practice doing this twice a day for a few days. Then she will know when she hears the 'click' a treat is on the way. Once she associates the clicker then you can move on to good behaviour rewards.
There are a few click training sessions on youtube that might help.

Not sure if any of these ideas will work for you & Izzy. Just tossing around ideas that I have tried. Like I said, each bird is different. I try one way, if that doesn't work, I look for another solution that may work.

Good luck and let us know how things are progressing. :)
Lila_

Post by Lila_ »

one month is a short time as far as parrot psychofits seem to go, so just be patient. it might take ages, but it is going to be soooo worth it when she puts her head back and coos at you.

I handraised my IRN girl from a few weeks and she still hates it when i put my hand in her cage. its sort of fair enough - its her cage. one option is to simply accept that thats her area, and get a cage where you dont have to put your hands into it in order to change her food/water.

additionally, my IRN also hates hands. There is no reasonably explanation for this, she just does. Try to use your arm/elbow/perch rather than your hands until Izzy gets more used to you, maybe she will grow out of it.

if she bites your ear or face for any reason, put her back in the cage and leave the room/ignore her for a while. it takes quite a few times of doing this to get them to understand what you are doing, but from my unfortunate (and bloodstained) (mine) experience they eventually learn that its not acceptable. no one likes to be ignored.

And lastly, dont forget that the best way to avoid war with Izzy is to watch out for her cues - fluffy face is not good. its a warning. it means youre doing something that annoys her.

good luck :)
**_ASTERI_BABI_**

Post by **_ASTERI_BABI_** »

Hi.
I am super new to irn (ive had my baby for almost 2 months now - he is 5mths old) but because of that fact i have done ALOT of research and read heaps of stuff, this forum has been great for "real life" advice too.
I read that these birds can become very teritorial of their cage if they are not coaxed out of that nautural instinct at a very young age. Apparently it is very difficult to undo the territorial issue once it has become a set behaviour, but it can be dulled down which is advisable because the behaviour can actually become severely hightened when the bird is in a bad mood or stressed or threatened etc.
so i guess you need to do a little reseach on territorial behaviour of idn parrots??
Oh i also read that if you keep their cage too isolated from the rest of the house or main living area then this just makes the problem worse, more often than not they will adopt the whole room if their cage is kept there alone. I guess by keeping him in a common living area where there is always someone hanging out and then allowing the bird free access in and out of his cage in that room the bird will then realise he has more options and he is safe in other area not just his cage.
Like i said i am a newby by all accounts but i hope this helps somewhat, I know first hand how scary it is with a new animal where by you are so afraid of doing the wrong thing because u want so badly to give this little creature the best life possible! :D It can be so stressful on a daily basis but also so super rewarding and fun. I am still getting to know my lil asteri but every day he is doing something new and i am quickly falling in love with him - head over heels, haha.

good luck!

= L =