How can I tame my IRN and a few more questions...

Moderator: Mods

theotses

How can I tame my IRN and a few more questions...

Post by theotses »

Hi everyone...

I am from Greece and I bought a ringneck 1,5 week ago... The pet store employee told me that it is around one year old, but i can't be sure...

The cage is small i think and i am not sure what i should feed her... I am sure that she loves apples though... :mrgreen:

First of all I would like to give me a piece of advice of how can i tame it... That's my major concern... I started reading the articles of the home page and I found some solutions there...

Please give me any help that you can about everything :oops: ...

For example what about the night-sleep??? Must it be in a room alone???

Should I buy a larger cage first and then try to tame it???

Should I leave it out of the cage for a little while during the day??? Well I read on an article that i should do it, but it is a little wild and i don't know if i should do it...

If i have any further questions I will post them here...

Sorry if I tired you...
Pounamu

Re: How can I tame my IRN and a few more questions...

Post by Pounamu »

Welcome.

Should really of researched a bit more before you got a Ringneck. :mrgreen:

Feed her fresh fruit and veges (ask here if you are not 100% certain if a fruit or vegetable is ok for you bird) each day and bird pellets or bird seed mix for parakeets (depending on what she is use to, there are posts about pellets, converting to pellets, recommend pellets etc). And give her fresh water each day. What have you been feeding her apart from apple?

If you've had her for a week and a half she should be getting familiar with you and the new surroundings and sounds. Just cover the cage at night with something that blocks out the light especially when your still up with the lights on. Ringnecks like routine, so, best to set a rough time when you cover the cage, uncover cage, feed her her main meals etc.

That said probably be less stress while she is settling in if she has a quiet room at night.

I would buy a large cage as soon as possible.

When she is a bit more tame/less jumpy you can get her wings clipped professionally, and let her out of the cage.

TAMING :There is no one way to tame a wild IRN, there is no guaranteed way and there is no fast way. This is just one suggestion : Slowly increase human contact each day. Does she eat out of your hand? When she does start eating out of your hand you can slowly see if you can put an empty hand close to her, without her running to the back of the cage. Slowly place your empty hand closer each day (you may take a few nips, try not to react to them and pull your hand back). Once she is comfortable with your hand try getting her to step up on to your finger, try pushing the side not the tip of your finger gently on her body above her legs. Most will step up onto your finger. OR you can use a stick instead of your hand.

It is easier to tame a bird in a small room (once comfortable on your hand/a stick) . But if the bird gets stressed and starts getting very jumpy/flighty etc. stop. and place her back in her cage. She is not ready for that step.

Hope this helps a little.
theotses

Post by theotses »

I tried just apple and cabbage and she eats them...

Do you have any more suggestions???

You have been very helpful... Thank you very much!!! :mrgreen:
Pounamu

Post by Pounamu »

**_ASTERI_BABI_**

Post by **_ASTERI_BABI_** »

Hi,
congratulations on your new friend! :P

I am very new to these birds too, I have a 5month old little boy and I have only had him for 2 months now so as you can understand I am still learning. However I did do alot of research before and after I got Asteri from the breeder, books and online as well as this great forum - all have been very helpful!
So although I am new I am happy to offer you some of the information I have read and learnt about.

Keep his water fresh, change it at least twice a day & definitely before you cover him at night to sleep.
Make sure you remove fresh food (fruit vegetables etc) after a few hours in his cage because they can spoil and make your bird sick and they also attract little fruit flies.
Constantly give your bird attention, always aknowledge him when ever you enter the room, take even just 20 minutes a day where you spend it one on one with your bird without distraction.
Allow him some time out of the cage a least a few times a week if you can not do it daily, although a few hours a day is much better than many hours on just a couple of days - routine truly is the key here.
Have his wings clipped as he is an older bird and is clearly not trained, this will prevent him hurting himself and also allow you to have a much less stressful interaction with him while he is out - this will make it easier for you to train him.
Be kind to him, dont yell at him or get frustrated with him. He doesnt know you and doesnt know why you are angry at him - when he bites you or runs away from you it is because he is protecting himself and is unsure or even afraid.
THE WAY TO HIS HEART IS THROUGH HIS STOMACH :lol: !
remember this always.
Dont just put his food in his cage, offer it to him with your hand - he will quickly learn that coming to you is a good and yummy thing to do.

Food:
If he was eating a seed-only diet (which is not healthy and quite fatty) then it will quite hard to switch him to parrot pellets - there is some great advice and tips on how to do that if you search the forum. Pellets are great because they are sort of a piece of mind insurace - they supply all the daily requires vitamins & minerals. Seeds, especially sunflower seeds, should be limited to once or twice a week as treat and for variety. So try and cut them out of the diet eventually. These birds prefer fresh fruit and vegetables anyway so if you offer him that then the wont miss the seeds at all - he will only notice when you replace the seeds for pellets.

DAILY - offer a variety of fresh RAW fruit and vegetables (wash them well before giving them to your bird).
NEVER GIVE HIM - Avocado, Chocolate, Onion, Garlic! These foods are poisonous, also the seeds of apples are also toxic.
They love apple, mango, pumpkin, corn on the cob, carrot, summer fruits, snow peas, peas, broccoli, zuchini, unsalted peanuts, almonds, watermelon, etc etc. Greece has great fruit and vegetables..he is very lucky, let him taste it all!
Also you should probably offer him a boiled egg once a week for protien. put some of the boiled shell crushed up with it in his bowl.

ok, thats pretty much everything I know! :P

I hope this helps you!

= L =