Chris Womach - Birdtricks.com

Moderator: Mods

AussieParrots

Chris Womach - Birdtricks.com

Post by AussieParrots »

Anyone used this training system? Is it any good?

I've heard lots of positives, but there are quite a few neg reviews....
jennamarie

Re: Chris Womach - Birdtricks.com

Post by jennamarie »

hey i've got some of his dvd's and thbey are really good but its a lot of hard work
My Bird is my Best Friend !!
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
Melika

Post by Melika »

It is a lot of work, I admit I did not follow through on it at all. I don't really care for tricks but it can definitely improve your bonding. After all, time spent positively with your parrot will do that. Training a parrot isn't as easy, IMO, as say a dog.

I think I will revisit the strategy eventually and stick to it. After all, I have 20+ years to do it!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

I bought several of his videos. He had came out with 3 DVDs, then a 4th, the 4th appeared to be basically a repeat of the 1st with a few corrections and additions added. All in all, they have very good insight to how to trick train, but so does a book on clicker training.

The question really is how much training do you want to do, I taught my GWMacaw to drop a coin in the cup after a couple days. During the training sessions, I had a mean nasty Alexandrine off to the side watching. While my Macaw wasnt the brightest one in the bunch, while he was chewing on a treat, I decided I would try the alexandrine with the same trick.

I gave him a coin and he droped it in the cup on the very first attempt. An accident of gravity I was sure, but moved the cup to allow the coin to fall to the floor. Nope, he took a couple steps and dropped the coin in the cup. The third time I moved the cup three feet away. Handed the bird the coin and he ran down, dropped the coin in and ran back for a treat. Unbeleivable. Unfortunatly, he was just mean and enjoyed being mean, so his trick training was limited at best.

The first video will get you started, the others get to be more and more complex but do a pretty good job of walking you through the steps. The question becomes how much training you really want to do, and how much time and effort you want to spend on it.

We gave a lecture about trick/clicker training at my bird club from a woman who had a professional bird show, about 30 people attended, of those 30 parrot owners, I was the only one to move forward and buy books and vidoes to see how I liked it. Quickly I realized they were good tips, but the time and effort to train for a parrot like AJ or ALEX is beyond the time I have avaiable.

My birds all have some tricks they can preform, from standing on their head, to big wings, to laying on thier backs, color identification, hiding head under the wing, rolling over etc, but much of these I used play time to develope vice formal training times. Best and most favored trick: Potty on Demand!! My Macaw hasnt had an accident in the house in over a year!

You might look on utbue.com under parrot training. Bird Click has several 2 min videos up there that will introduce you to several small tricks, see if you can get those done, and then decide is you want to continue it.

Jim
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
AussieParrots

Post by AussieParrots »

Thanks Jim, for your comprehensive reply.

It's certainly helped a lot!