Smokey's started attacking me

Moderator: Mods

laine

Smokey's started attacking me

Post by laine »

Yes, that's right. My very loveable Smokey has started attacking me. It is, however, only when I am on the mobile phone. He flies to the phone as soon as it starts ringing, so obviously he's there first. He bites my fingers, ears and the phone trying to get it off me. Tonight he bit my neck trying to get at the phone. I know this wasn't a direct plan but it's how it happened. I kept swapping the phone from one ear to the other to try to keep it off him and also so that I could hear the person on the phone. He went to try to bite/grab the phone but I swapped sides and he bit my neck. It is becoming an increasing problem and he really takes chunks out of my fingers. He is not jealous of the phone, he wants it. Any opportunity to play with anyone's mobile and he will. Our phones have to be in pockets, closed drawers or rooms but somehow, he has phone radar and knows where they are anyway :shock: I just don't know how to stop the behaviour and it is impossible to put him in his cage while the phone is ringing.
Does anyone have any ideas?
U.S Marine

Re: Smokey's started attacking me

Post by U.S Marine »

Ha ha! i had to laugh. I would maybe relocate his cage, or you can keep your phones on vibrate. 8)

EDIT:You should browse the internet for a fake cell phone to purchase and put it in Smokeys cage!
bec

Post by bec »

skeet used to do the same thing with me whenever i was on the phone maybe smokey thinks the phone is his & there fore you have no right to touch it!!
i ended up doing what youve done keep the phone in another room & never talking on it in front of skeet
laine

Post by laine »

U.S Marine wrote:Ha ha! i had to laugh. I would maybe relocate his cage, or you can keep your phones on vibrate. 8)

EDIT:You should browse the internet for a fake cell phone to purchase and put it in Smokeys cage!
This is not a solution. Smokey id always out of his cage when I am home, therefore the location of the cage is irrelevant. As soon as the phone rings he flies to it and while I am talking on it you CANNOT get him to step up to move him.

I think bec is right, he does think the phone belongs to him and I have no right to answer his phone. It is awful, though, when I am talking on the phone and he bites my hand hard and I scream down the phone. The poor person on the other end must think I have just been murdered or something LOL
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Smokey is being really naughty! Huh? Every bird is different and it is amazing how every bird reacts. My birds act completely different around cell phones—they are just fascinated by them ;o) There are several things you can do to prevent these attacks; however, there is one thing you must do that’s universal—break the pattern.

Sounds like Smokey is a bird who flies. That’s awesome, in fact, I enjoy watching Archimedes fly—it’s just memorizing. Though this might seem like a shock—you could clip the wings for a while. This should perhaps allow you enough time to break this habit. Again, this is a very personal choice and entirely up to you.

As Bec had mentioned, you might decide to keep your phone in another room away from your bird. Because I have the impression that your bird can fly, try keeping the phone inside a room where the door can be closed. This way, if Smokey decides to get to you—he will be denied entry. This should work because eventually this behavior cannot be reinforced.

Another option, work on positive reinforcement. Because your bird can fly, try teaching him to fly to his cage on command. Do daily exercise of you pretending to be on the phone and reward him for the behavior you wish to keep. It’s amazing how smart these little turkeys are—food or affection truly does speak to their hearts..ha ha ha ha

The finial option that I can think of is to simply locking him in his cage while you are on the phone. Simply ask him to step up, and bring him to the cage.
Laine, sounds like you have such a rambunctious little monster on your hands. I have given you a few options—be creative and find what works for you. This is the joy of owning a parrot and that’s why you gotta love them :o)! But whatever method you choose, just break the pattern, that’s the key—don’t acknowledge the behavior and it will pass in time!

Please keep us updated!

IMRAN
laine

Post by laine »

Thanks Imran,

There are a few good suggestions there. Yes, Smokey is fully flighted. He is also very attached to me, so as soon as I even look like making a move, if he is not already hanging around me, he will fly really fast to my shoulder. (Very much like a child yelling out "Mum where are you going? Don't go without me.)

I want him to be able to fly so a question I have, if I clip only half of the wings will he be slower for a short while so I can break this behaviour? I had thought about it but not only do I love watching him fly, he enjoys his daily fly round the house.

I have taught Smokey to come to me on command - simply I call out Come On - and there he is LOL. Your suggestion to be taught to fly to his cage on command is, I assume, therefore achievable.

He is normally very tame, friendly, placid and cuddly. Just not when it comes to my mobile phone.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Laine,

Hey! Just started reading your post! Believe me, I know how wonderful it is to see them fly—I must agree with you whole heartily. I bet it is the coolest thing to see Smokey come to you on command! Very impressed. Bravo! :o)

You know, I don’t know if it would be a good idea to clip his wings right now—especially if you have trained him to come on command. Perhaps maybe work on the recall to the cage? This approach might be the best for the beginning and let’s see how it pans out. I mean, if it works—then bingo.
To answer your question about wing clipping.

One of Archimedes’ brothers—Anakin, is fully flighted*. His owner very rarely clips his wings and it is just amazing to see him fly. However, I do still clip his wings and when I do I cut about 8 feathers down. In my opinion, this is enough to allow him to glide down without just falling. But it defiantly slows him down. Archimedes on the other hand is fully clipped because I have ceiling fans—can’t take the chance.

P.S. 5255** <---------Archimedes wanted to type something too—he jumped on the keyboard while I was typing :o) ha ha ha ha
Best Wishes,

IMRAN
leo

Post by leo »

if the bird have never been clip, how should i clip him ?
is it better to clip him gradually, may be 2 feather at a time or clip 8 feather at a time?

thanks
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Hey Leo post some pictures of your bird. Its been awhile Leo.
Leo, does not matter if the bird never been clip and take your
bird to a pet shop have them show you how its done. It will be
much much easier... :lol:
Bluejeans

Post by Bluejeans »

Hi

I have the same problem with Blue, I now use the speaker phone option on a regular phone (not cordless) while he is out.
Lila_

Post by Lila_ »

Did you eventually figure this one out?

Can you try getting a fake cellphone, keeping it with the real one and when the real one rings and he goes for it, let him have the fake one?
or is he too clever for that?

dodo was always flighted and its beautiful :).
However she had the same issue as smokey, but with the cutlery drawer.... dont ask me. she loved it. i was not allowed to touch it. needless to say, i would not let her own my cutlery drawer and she resented me for it. she would fly at me, bite off a chunk of flesh, and then keep flying. she did that one day when i opened it to get a spoon - i still have a big ugly scar on my hand. so i clipped her wings. it sucked. she hated it.
but she is no longer obsessed with the drawer (99% of the time) and i can now touch it without fear of being brutally attacked.

so if all else fails - clip smokey's wings. they will eventually grow back.