Question about Cockateil behaviour

Moderator: Mods

laine

Question about Cockateil behaviour

Post by laine »

My 18 y.o. son, Dale, has a female cockateil about 2 years old now and has had her from a baby. She is not very social but loves my son. She hates everyone else. She will choose when it's time to interact with Dale and he doesn't seem able to be in charge, to put it simply. He is very good with her, spends lots of time with her but it's not helping. Just lately (the past week or so) she has become more reluctant to interact with Dale, choosing to sit on the cage instead of on his shoulder or desk. Our question is, can a bird decide that it just doesn't want to be social and, over time, withdraw to become an ornamental bird - something Dale definately doesn't want to happen. The only change in routine is that Dale has finished school and is home all day now. We thought she would love having him home more but the opposite seems to be true. She used to get excited when he came home from school but now it's as if she's thinking "haven't you got somewhere else to go today?".
Any ideas ? suggestions ? This withdrawal is breaking Dale's heart.
U.S Marine

Re: Question about Cockateil behaviour

Post by U.S Marine »

Dale should try applying for jobs. The Cockatiel should have been interacted with other people, other members of the house should at least talk to the bird for awhile.
Sami

Post by Sami »

WTF is that kind of advise? :shock: Personally, if I owned this board, I'd ban this U.S. Moron or whatever he thinks he is.
Parrots always pick their favorite humans in a tame environment.

Anyway, it's possible she's going into breeding condition. I have a 'tiel hen that withdraws every so often, lays a few eggs, and a few weeks later she's "back to normal" until the next session. Could also be a hard molt where she just wants to be left alone for awhile. As long as she's eating and her poops are normal I would limit interaction until she decides to be friendly again.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I guess some people never feel satisfied. Jeez, why so negative? :roll:
bec

Post by bec »

maybe the excitement is because she missed him maybe its the fact that he is home more that has made the difference
you know what i mean? if he is there all day she has no reason to tell him how much he was missed?
does that make any sence?
laine

Post by laine »

Thanks Bec,

That was what we were thinking. She was alone all day and the excitement of Dale coming home was great for her. Now he is just there all day and she knows it. She is happy to be in the same room, just leave me alone - so to speak. Hopefully she will readjust and play more.

She hasn't laid any eggs in the 2 years we've had her so maybe this is the first time and could be another reason.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Yeah I agree with Bec----why get excited when the master has been there all day !!---Im sure the teil will get used to him being around all the time.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Hmm kinda sounds like my conure at the moment, she wants nothing to do with me :(
julie

Post by julie »

Sami wrote:WTF is that kind of advise? :shock: Personally, if I owned this board, I'd ban this U.S. Moron or whatever he thinks he is.
Parrots always pick their favorite humans in a tame environment.

Anyway, it's possible she's going into breeding condition. I have a 'tiel hen that withdraws every so often, lays a few eggs, and a few weeks later she's "back to normal" until the next session. Could also be a hard molt where she just wants to be left alone for awhile. As long as she's eating and her poops are normal I would limit interaction until she decides to be friendly again.
The one calling people names is likely to be banned if they keep going , i suggest playing nicely.
Lila_

Post by Lila_ »

I actually sort of agree with U.S Marine with the point on other people interacting with the bird. even if the bird thinks that Mom and Dad are losers. My birds think my poor mother is a total loser and they are very mean to her. but shes patient and talks to them a lot. Then when my Tiel had major surgery and needed intensive babysitting, and my mother babysitted her while i was at work. If she had not put in the effort before that day, Noodle would have been too stressed out and I would not have been able to leave her. If you interact with Dales bird as best you can, it can pay off in the future :)

As long as the cockatoo is healthy (check with vet) then its probably not a problem. maybe shes molting, maybe that what she normally does during the day and doesnt see the need to change her normal routine, maybe shes getting cabinfever with Dale. she should bounce back soon enough :)
Lila_

Post by Lila_ »

Oops! sorry, I read cockatoo, but actually shes a cockatiel.

in that case - this is exactly what mine does on the weekends. it all "I LOVE YOU WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" when i get home from work, but she likes a little space if i am going to be home all day.
mien gets super affectionate before she lays. grumpy when she molts.
good luck :)