grumpy bird

Moderator: Mods

bec

grumpy bird

Post by bec »

can the heat make birds grumpy? last night i went to check on my lorikeet mutley as he was throwing a massive temper tantrum which usually means he is sick k of being in the cage & wants special mummy time so i put my hand in the cage & he rushed over & bit me :shock: drew blood too & let me tell you for a tiny little bird hes got a real sharp beak
something he has never done before this moring when it was cool he was his usual cheeky loveable self but this afternoon when it was about 34 threw another paddy then just rushed at the side of the cage but after squirts he settled down again could the heat be getting to him as much as its getting to us?
xx_sheena_xx

Re: grumpy bird

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

My birds are grumpy too because of the heat
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

aww poor mutley! hope he feels better soon. :( Hard to imagine its just the start of summer!
My 2 have been super grumpy lately. Jibby seems to always wake up on the wrong side of the perch everymorning! He hates being woken by me or by Lola and snaps if you dare make a noise or touch his cage! What bird is not a morning bird? Jibby! :shock: Lolas thrown a couple of her 'extreme' temper tantrums lately.. she seems to attack the 'air' around her :roll: and 'argue' with herself. They both seem to want to spend time apart lately and nap all day in separate rooms, Jibby knows Lola wont go near my partner, so he hangs out wherever my partner is because he doesnt have Lola in his ear all the time haha. He cant get enough of Lola in breeding season. But the rest of the year, he loves his 'quiet space'. They havnt really been bothered to fly much lately. Too hot. Theyve also been moulting, now have stumpy bums. :| I wont be putting them outside full time this summer. But being due in Feb, I wanted them to settle outside before I bring a new baby into the house. But I might wait till march to give them a taste of life in the avary. Even March might end up being too hot. :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

Ducks for cover.....it could just be a male thing :roll:
I have noticed mine act different with the heat too, even with their talking. This morning when it was cool mika would not shut up, but as soon as it started to get warmer he decided to be quiet for a while.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I read somewhere that when they are moulting or near a moult, they can get grumpy as moulting is a very stressful time. I guess when teamed up with just after a breeding season, they would get a little irritable and run down. I have heard some people get like this......not me of course! :lol: :P
Maybe a combination of heat and moulting perhaps.