covering cage / won't play

Moderator: Mods

Grumpy Ringneck

covering cage / won't play

Post by Grumpy Ringneck »

is it necessary to cover the cage at night? for the last couple of weeks he doesn't seem to like his cage to be covered. he keeps climbing across the sides of the cage.

he doesn't play with the toys hanging in his cage and still won't go to the bottom of the cage. is he supposed to play when he's alone? read that he can get bored easily without toys. is it normal that he doesn't play?

can he eat nuts, cheese, jam and cabbage or drink juice?
julie

Re: covering cage / won't play

Post by julie »

its not normal for birds to be on the bottom of the cage, mine only go down to pick stuff up.
Some birds dont like toys, indie has never played with toys. Not every bird is going to like and do the same things.
If you really want the bird to have toys try ones that can be picked up and moved around and see how he goes with them.

I wouldnt reccomend cheese and everything else mentioned should be ok in very small quantities, as a treat not a staple diet.
julie

Post by julie »

hows it going with the taming? are you making progress with him.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Is your bird new? When i first got my Ring Neck he/she would not move. Its going to take weeks for the bird to feel at home and as the months go by, the better it feels wen treated right. My bird hates its cage being covered and is sorta used to it by now. But yea, it used to climb all over the cage and would go for atleast 30 minutes! :shock: !.
Grumpy Ringneck

Post by Grumpy Ringneck »

Forum changed.

Taming is not going well. he's still biting hard but not drawing blood everytime he bites. started climbing all over me and poking holes in my clothes. how do i stop him without him getting hurt? have to lure him off me or back into cage with food.

so it's okay that he doesn't want to play with his toys? he won't get bored?
guiseuppi

Post by guiseuppi »

I was recently gifted a 5 year old male ring neck who was completely against step-ups or touching of any sort. I kept his cage just below eye level to decrease his aggression. I wore leather gloves and worked him 2-4 times daily outside and away from his cage for a good 20-30 minutes. Of course there were times where i pushed it a bit much and ended the session early. I got him so he'd finally stay on my gloved hand and then eventually went to stepping from hand to hand and from hand to object and whatnot. I found his best training times to be early in the morning. I fed him all kinds of fruits and nuts through his cage until I discovered he really likes dried cranberries (yummy). Then I used this against him. I'd have no food waiting for him in the mornings and open up the cage and hand feed him. He'd submit just enough to get his craisin and then recess back into the cage. I was quite constant with his training and after 5 months he'll kick it on my shoulder wherever I go around the house, always pooping first before he steps up. He has a vocabulary that I never, ever expected. He has acquired, from me, 15-20 words easy. You'll be able to see the invisible boundries between you and the bird shift as he gets used to YOU. When those eyeballs of his pins out when he looks at you and says, "hey buddy" for the first time you'll be so happy. If you have no experience in birds, do yourself a huge favor and buy a book. I have no affiliation to this book but I bought "Barron's guide to a well-behaved parrot as suggested to me and it's the book that got me all my ideas and whatnot. I know it says parrot and not parakeet but it might as well say parakeet. Good luck
guiseuppi

Post by guiseuppi »

Oh and to slow down his biting, wind him. Tire him out some.