I am the alpha bird!

Moderator: Mods

Jade

I am the alpha bird!

Post by Jade »

For a long time it was just Chooky and me. He was my little mate and viewed me as a big featherless birdy girlfriend. Now I have Yubee who I am 99% sure is a girl, and they are both competing for my attention. Yubee was a 'returned' baby of mine that I hand raised last year. The guy who got her from me found her too hard to deal with and brought her back to me. The idiot put her in an aviary with cockatiels because he got bored with her and was upset that she beat up all the other birds and bit him constantly. Anyway, Yubee and Chook both think that they are my favourites - and I'm not taking sides. Yubee is a lovely little thing and I've not had a problem with her biting although she is very afraid of men. Problem is that Chook is jealous of Yubee and Yubee of Chook. I am continually having birdy wars on my shoulders and they try to out cute each other with their antics. Has anyone else had this problem? They don't fight each other, just go spaz for my attention and go way overboard. They constantly do their mating dances to me and I am forever being forcefed their vomit (luckily I have managed to escape so far but even on my lip is bad enough). I never intended on having two birds because I never knew how I would divide my time equally. Maybe thats why I only have one child too......??? By the way, they live together in a huge patio aviary and are quite happy. It's only when I am around that they turn into idiots.
Lauren
Site Admin

Re: I am the alpha bird!

Post by Lauren »

Poor Yubee. Yubee sounds exactly like my Lola. She seems too much for other people. Lola is quite a handful at times, shes always trying to be the boss and get her way, she hates anyone but me and will drive them away by yelling at them, she doesnt allow Jibby to have more than her, that includes my attention. But shes sweet natured under it all, just I seem to be the only one that has ever seen her sweet side! She loves my attention. The dynamics of your 2 sounds similar to my 2. Although Ive never had the pleasure of being fed love vomit. lol.
I had Jibby for 6 years before I got him a 'friend' of his own kind, he was always my baby boy, turns out his new friend was infact female, I didnt know before she reached maturity, a few years later when she reached adulthood, they started theyre love games and mated. Now my relationship with him has changed. Its not a goodbye to my baby Jibby. I dont see it as that. Its just adjusting to what he now wants, that is his wife. Kinda like watching a child grow up I guess! hehe.
Lola doesnt like anyone but me and Jibby gets mightly jealous and competes for attention, if I get too close to her, he will snap at me. But if I have them both on my hands at the same time and include them both when Im chatting to them, feed them both a treat, they seem fine. I try to treat them equally, but sometimes its like trying to juggle them both. They can get demanding of my time. Its only when I spend time with one and not the other, problems arise.
They sorted out there differences pretty fast, in the first few weeks of meeting each other! Lola dominates Jibby and he seems quite happy having a boss. He'll even steal a kiss from her when shes not looking or sleeping tucked under wing, you can see him carefully planning his kiss, if she wakes, hes in big trouble. LOL he loves her alot and Im happy to see him that way, even if it means Im second best. They even mutter 'I love you's at each other, Jibbys never said it directly to me though. Now whos jealous! LOL Sometimes I just feel like the 'food fairy' or their personal transportation device, even though they are flighted and capable of flying, I carry them! They have even tried erm.. you know what.. whilst sitting on me. Its like Im not even there at times! Then other times its 'me me me! dont talk to him/her ME FIRST!'
Wow sorry off topic a bit. But I get what you mean about the jealousy and competitivness, only when your around! 3 is a crowd! Atleast you know they love you too. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lila_

Re: I am the alpha bird!

Post by Lila_ »

every bird wants to be an only child...
at least they aren't at war. they should calm down a bit with time...if they havent already :)