leash on the harness

Moderator: Mods

leo

leash on the harness

Post by leo »

I want to ask about the leash on the harness

may be anyone can you help me?
hi i got a harness for my ringneck, the bird accept it as he is wearing it since baby.

however,now he is flying very well even in the harness and i want to bring him out

he refuse to have the leash. infact he do not mind i put the leash, but he soon learn that he cant fly freely with the leash on. now he refuse to have the leash. when i put it on he will fly and get angry as he cant fly freely.

how can i train him not to fly or other esential behaviour while the leash is on .

thansk alot
julie

Post by julie »

I have never had a harness on any of mine. I would probably keep training him with it inside and see if it just a matter of him getting used to it, I really wouldn't take him out in it until he is good with it.
Fah

Post by Fah »

From what I have heard about other people who free fly their birds on long tethers and the like... its pot luck with some birds.

Keep up the training, try tethering them down to a peg / weight, and stand close enough that the leash doesnt even get close to being tight.. and offer treats to encourage flight over short range to start?

Some birds never will accept this form of flight, its a very unnatural way of flying so some birds just refuse it..

Hopefully he accepts it heh.
leo

Post by leo »

thanks...
hmm, i love to see them fly,but,ya,i limit to let them fly in enclosed.
i scared to lose another bird, even tango loss is not due to free flight, i do not do the free flight training at anymore...i just cant lose another sweetheart...

thats why i decided to get a harness and leash, so i can let him fly in the house and still can bring him out

on introducing the leash, i realise the problem is :
the bird get use to free flying in the house, and they are only constrain with the house size.my house orientation is long, so he can fly in a very high speed. exceeding my tiel flight speed with alot of maneouvouring inmid air and yet still can stop accurately on my finger. its really really a beautiful thing to see them fly!

this night, i try the leash on again when he is in my bed room. where the bed room is small anough for harness harness and to keep the bird fly slowly. not much space to do his favoirite activity.

he is much calmer in the smaller room as he watch me studying and not much space for him to speed flying.

it does not look as bad as he try to fly fast and far and get pulled by the leash(i make the end part of leash with 400% streatchable material, so he wont get jerk off when he reach the end of the leash). he havent accept the leash yet, but he is much calmer to sit on my shoulder chewing on chop stick or watch me study. previously, he will go mad and bite and fight off the leash...
i would say, today he make a good progress...
thansk alot for the suggestions

i hope he can progress on...thanks ya,will kep u updated.....