Too attached?

Moderator: Mods

Welshy

Too attached?

Post by Welshy »

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, but this is the first place I come to check for help on the old topics.

I've had Jett (blue IRN mutation) from a breeder several months ago, he's just over 1 year old now, he wasn't hand reared so it's taken a bit of time to get him used to me. His progress has been slow but steady until a week or two ago when my parents went on holiday.

My mum's usually the first one awake and she usually uncovers him in the morning, since they were on holiday I was doing it at the same time in the morning. However since my parents have returned Jett's been squawking non stop in the mornings either until I come into the room or someone gets too annoyed and covers him back up.

He's got toys in his cage that he hardly uses, we leave the door open most of the day and there's usually someone there to keep him company.

another thing I've noticed is that he won't step up for anyone else, if my mum or any of the regular visitors go near him he'll fly off, the exception to this is when I'm holding him on my hand he'll go to my mum if I pass him to her.

The only reason I can think of for this is that he's getting attached to only me.

Thanks for helping out.

Barrie
bec

Post by bec »

that happens
we have 6 irns i feed all of them clean the cages everything that is done for them is done by me but my daughter larissa is the only one who can get riku to step up on command but he will fly to me if it looks like i have food that i might share (unless larissa has food too)
i dont think think your bird is "too attached" he just loves you thats all
laine

Post by laine »

I agree, he loves you.
Smokey is out of his cage if I am home. I am told that every time he hears a car he starts squawking (as if he's saying "she's home, she's home") and of course he won't stop when I do come home from work etc until I let him out. I find myself giving him excuses if I don't let him out straight away (I'll get you out in a minute, just want to get changed first and other excuses - hmmmm justifying myself to a bird :lol: ).
Which ever room I am in, Smokey is very happy to just hang out. If I am in the kitchen or family room, he has to sit on my shoulder yet if I sit in the lounge and watch tv or am on the computer hes happy to sit on his cage or playground, occasionally coming over to me. However, should I stand up, even without leaving, he will fly to me just in case I do leave. This means I can't even go to the toilet or bathroom alone :lol: . Somehow, even if he appears asleep, he will sense my movement and follow me before I get too far. He is very social, even with strangers (some he doesn't like) but I have to be in his sight. Just like your birdie, he loves me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
courtney

Post by courtney »

That is sweet. Im the only one that is allowed to feed Chiquita. When I was in the hospital over night my mom went over to my house to feed my birds. Well Chiquita was just not having any of it and bit her like crazy, my mom dropped the food all over the cage, lol So she had to clean that and try again.

Chiquita will only go on me and nobody else. My conure Boomer is stuck to me like glue.

Some birds just get extremely attached to their owners. That’s natural.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.