ok whats next

Moderator: Mods

zoerat

ok whats next

Post by zoerat »

right mangos wings are clipped, i sit and talk to him, what comes next, should i let him out? or finger train him first or maybe stick train him, can i do that in the cage? he wont take food off me yet maybe thats what i should be doing first.
eggy

Post by eggy »

Before starting to tame your ringneck find out what it's favourite treat is by watching what it goes for first in its treat bowl and remove it from its daily diet so it has to get it directly from you.
Now get it's favourite treat and drop it into the cage and take 2 steps bake and wait a minute, if it hasn't eaten it step another 2 steps back and reapet the prosess until it has been eaten, and each time you go through this you can lenghten the time in between every 2 steps. Soon your bird-friend will be awaiting your arival and will eat from your finger-tips.

Avoid looking your bird in the eye to start off, it can be intimidating for the ringneck.
once you have gained his trust open the cage door and let him come out in his own time.
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

hes soooooo close will come 10cm away from taking the food from my hand then backs away
sherry

Post by sherry »

I agree with the other replies and just be patient. Don't try to rush your bird he/she will trust you in time-please read my post " Finally Some Progress". I am in the same situation as you and I had a breakthrough. Good Luck!!
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

its so hard to be patient sometimes. but i no i no it has to be done. slow progress here still just getting him used to the house i think as its quite buzy and there are always people coming and going. i only do training with him when im here by myself otherwise theres to much happining. ive started leaving his door open he comes pops his head out looks around but hasnt come out yet.
sherry

Post by sherry »

Is it possible to move him to a quieter spot until he gets used to his surroundings? I know with my IRN when I moved him out of the living room that is when he started to come out of his cage and became more confident of his surroundings.
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

i cant move him because his cage is huge. but ive had a wee break through he climbed out and sat on top of the cage. for awhile, and then i put a bit of apple in his cage after half an hour and he went back in, hes slowly getting there