To clip or not to clip.

Moderator: Mods

zoerat

To clip or not to clip.

Post by zoerat »

Ive only had my IRN for 2 weeks, mangos wings are not clipped so i dont let him out of his cage yet. hes slowly getting used to me . right now hes taking his first bath in a bowl of water i placed in his cage. Anyway im tossing and turning about the wing clipping i even dream about it at night. if i go ahead and do it ill get a vet out so he doesnt think ive done it. i would love to see him out of his cage but without clipped wings i dont no how id get him back in
leo

Post by leo »

if he is not tame,you should consider clipping the wing
Bella

Post by Bella »

Clipping wings can end up more dangerous so i would say no in your situation!
If youre having problems getting him back in his cage use treats or if you him to step up pull him towards your chest and gently put your hands over the back of his wings (as if youre stroking him from the tip of the head down his back) so he cant fly off. We have to do this with our tame ringneck :lol:

I really really believe that wing clipping should be THE last resort for any bird.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

I have two and Clip both of their wigs, nither are 100% tame, will go on hand, shoulder and dont run away. But I take them outside and release them to roam the lawn and bushes. They are always out in the house when we are in, but as you know they would eat their way out if they where left unattended. This gives them some freedom even though I take it away.
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

have decided to clip vets coming today to do it , i think for both me and the Mango this is the right step to take
leo

Post by leo »

u can still lett he wing regrow...
with clipped wing, you can teach the bird proper manner and trust u...

i think it is way more difficult to train unclipped as they can fight for their way, by flying

to me, it is more dangerous, it is difficult for them to have a flight control in a small room and in a fright situation...chances that they will bang the wall, window or anything is high, like u are speeding in a small road

it is even more difficult if you are new to bird and bird training and new to the particular bird
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

Its done he is now a clipped wing bird. He was soooo good didnt put up a fight at all didnt screech or try biting. Hes a bit weary of me now tho but im sure ill win his love back in no time. Im feeling very excited, I hope 1 day ill be able to touch him and ave him eating out of my hand
eggy

Post by eggy »

how old is he? if he's to young and doesn't know how to fly yet that could've been a very big mistake. if thats so he will probalby never learn how to fly... :shock:
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

oh I hope not, hes coming up a year old in september
leo

Post by leo »

zoe, try to teach him some simple trick like shake hand, and wave, you will be ablle to control her mood better and gain her trust faster, or even she will be the one looking for u to show off his skill
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

Im still working on getting him to take food out of my hand. Basicaly hes still settling in but I dont thhink it will take to long to win the we guy over. I spend alot of time just talking to him through the cage at the moment. He is in the lounge with me so im always in his sight and hes just starting to calm down when i put my hand in
leo

Post by leo »

good, talking and sharing food do wonder, cos it is what they do with the flock in the wild
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

Also it looks like ive finally converted him to eating pellets to. didnt take long hes a quick learner
leo

Post by leo »

u are good !!!!!!!
i have always have problem converting my bird to eat pellet...
how u do it?