on my shoulder or not?

Moderator: Mods

skittles

on my shoulder or not?

Post by skittles »

Hello,
We just got skittles on Friday. Previously, I owned a quaker, and he lived on my shoulder. The breeder we got Skittles from kept talking about how she liked being on his shoulder, so I thought that was ok. However, I am reading that might not be the best thing. Any thoughts from anyone? Skittles is happiest on my shoulder, she wants companionship all the time!! Any clue on what to do with her if she should not be on my shoulder?
Skittles and her mommy
Bella

Post by Bella »

I let mine on my shoulder but i know i can trust them not to have my eye out :lol: I suppose it depends on the bird, if they are well behaved and wont bite i cant see a problem with it. My caique loves hiding in my hair when shes on my shoulder :lol:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
julie

Post by julie »

It's totally up to you. If you trust skittles to behave and not bite you and think skittles will obey your directions to step off ect. I personally prefer my birds to learn to step up onto my hands first before going on my shoulders.
bec

Post by bec »

julie wrote:It's totally up to you. If you trust skittles to behave and not bite you and think skittles will obey your directions to step off ect. I personally prefer my birds to learn to step up onto my hands first before going on my shoulders.
wow you mean there are birds out there who actually give you a choice?!!!!! skeet & riku have always just flown and landed there neither one has been viscious while one my shoulder (although skeet is trying to remove my freckles this week but i just calmly tell her they are supposed to be there it seems to stop her )
but being able to decide if i want them there?wqeird concept
julie

Post by julie »

It is really hard to stop them going onto your shoulder. But it really hurts to have a irn hanging off your ear too :shock: that's why I try to teach them step up first, if they are on your shoulder and start getting cranky I like to be able to get them off before I have a new piercing in my ear or get bitten on the face. Tiffany was walking around with Mika on her shoulder a couple of weeks ago and she ended up with a black eye because she moved when Mika decided he didn't want her to , he got her on her cheek bone and left bite marks but didn't break the skin.
bec

Post by bec »

ouch!!!!!!
skittles

thanks!

Post by skittles »

Thanks for all the advice! Skittles already knows how to step up on our finger, and the breeder had been letting her (him, her, not sure which) on his shoulder, so she thinks she belongs there. She does try to groom us, but if we just put our finger on her beak and stroke it a few times, she usually stops. My son was just standing by her cage and stepped up on his shirt and walked up to his shoulder, he was like, um, mom, mom! help!

(My son is a little skittish around birds, but getting used to Skittles. I had a quaker that only liked me, and hated the rest of the family. Used to terrorize my son)
Skittles and her mommy
3tiels&aringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

I have the same problem with the shoulder thing, but Bullet likes sitting on your shoulder. The only problem is, Bullet is going through the biting stage. I sense that he/she wants the companionship and feels safe and secure, but like you Julie, I don't want an ear or chin piercing unexpectedly.

I've noticed the last few nights, when everyone has settled down, he will go to my shoulder and groom and grind his beak, and eventually go to sleep with no problems, but it still makes me a little nervous.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with perching on my shoulder. My cockatiels love to sit there, but their beaks are a lot smaller...... I know they need to be taught right from wrong, but it's hard to do when they are so young and you feel like you need to nuture them.
Wendy
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
skittles

so far, so good

Post by skittles »

Skittles is actually doing really good with not biting when she is on my shoulder. She does like to preen us some, but I can usually get her to stop. I try to have something she likes around to distract her from me. I worry about her flying though. She is not great at it, and for some reason goes for the stove! I think that it has something to do with where I sit in the living room. I'm going to try moving and see if she flies another way.
The stove thing makes me really nervous, specially if hubby is cooking!
Skittles and her mommy