Bullet is getting testy

Moderator: Mods

3tiels&aringneck

Bullet is getting testy

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

I'm sure like most of us, the first time our "babies" decide to take a chunk out of us, it breaks our hearts. How could they bite the hand that feeds them. Well, I got to experience it, and yes, I was heartbroken. As some of you know, we just brought Bullet home this past Tuesday, and things were going great UNTIL yesterday. Bullet decided to take a taste of my thumb. I know they use their beaks for lots of things, but he was intentionally biting. I was shocked. Just out of the blue while perched on my finger. From what I know, he/she is only about 10 weeks old. I am so hoping this is just the bluffing everyone talks about and that it will not go on for too long.

I guess I just need some reassurance. I'm not giving up. If nothing else, it just makes me more determined. Wendy
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Yup.. sounds like bluffing to me. I know my Anakin isn't bluffing yet, but he is definitely testing us. We're not letting him get away with anything. He wont 'bite'. He doesn't lunge down and bite. He tends to chew on our fingers. Bluffing can last a couple weeks or a couple months. It just depends on the bird.

Don't react. If you gotta cuss and freak out, don't do it in front of Bullet. Do it in an entirely separate room. You'll be entertainment for life if you do.

Good luck!
3tiels&aringneck

Bullet

Thanks SkyBaby. Today is a little better. Bullet has tried only a couple of times today (knock on wood). Both times were quick little bites. I did my best not to react. He/she wants to be with me or on me, but it makes me a little nervous when trying to sit on my shoulder. When he is on my shoulder, its hard to see if the eyes are pinning, but I have noticed that when he's upset and doesn't want to be touched, he makes this sort of what I compare to a "growl" sound only in bird form.

As I sit here writing this, he tried to bite when rubbing his head, I got him to step up to my finger to perch and he started biting at my thumb, but it wasn't like it was the other day, and it didn't hurt.
The amount of pressure of his beak has improved, but he is still trying. I sure hope this is bluffing.

His "hatch" mate is still at the pet store, but when my hubby tried to pick that one up, it was so friendly and let you rub on it. We joked about letting us trade. I would never do that. No way, Bullet is part of our family now, biting or not biting.
Image Bullet
bluepepe09

Post by bluepepe09 »

Wendy + Sky

Sounds like this is the same as my ringie, He was great at first as well but started biting more and more often. Now each time he sees the hand unless distracted he bites.

My Ring is almost the same age and has been biting harder and harder each time.

Now its getting to the stage where Im getting slightly anxious each time I go to pick him up (trying not to but not easy), as I know he is going to bite.

I have never disciplined him for biting... Tried ignoring the bite, a firm no then walking away and ignoring, or have tried shaking the finger he stands on to unbalance him (not easy if he bites the finger he stands on). But none of this is seeming to help.

I dont know if this is bluffing either, May be, but hard to see his eyes if not in the correct light.

Will be interesting to see how you get on with yours.
3tiels&aringneck

biting

Wow, Bluepepe09, I think you're having a worse time than me. Bullet too was so sweet when we first brought him home, and I had been visiting with him every 2-3 days when he was first brought in to the pet store we bought him at. I was so hoping that would help with bonding. I know he/she thinks of me as the mom b/c I'm the one who does the hand feeding. I'm thinking too that this is why I'm the one the biting gets taken out on. Though some days are better than others, today Bullet really dug into my finger while I was trying to get him to step up and he didn't want to move from where he was.

It's very frustrating. It seems every time we go foreward, we take two steps back. My Bullet is going on 11 weeks old and I can see where he is becoming more independent.

It really makes you secondguess yourself, but I'm not giving up. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, but it's nice to know at the same time that someone else is going through the same thing.

Bluepepe09, is this your first IRN? It is for me. I have experience with cockatiels and thought I would move up to a little bit bigger bird. I was so impressed with their beauty.

Good luck! too you too Skybaby
Image Bullet
sherry

Post by sherry »

I would not let him sit on my shoulder during this stage. Good Luck!
bluepepe09

Post by bluepepe09 »

Yeah its my first IRN. Had a budgie years ago.

Good to know it is not just me that is encountering these issues. And you are 100% correct it does make you wonder whether it is you or not.

But im not giving up.

He is definately not scared of us, infact I am starting to think he is dominant over us, and thats why he is biting.

Going to get his wings clipped next week I think. Didn't want to but after much thought and consultation have decided to give it a try.

Keep me posted on your progress, hopefully will go better than me.

If I can offer a piece of advice, use treats sparingly in the training process. And tame in/and on the cage first, before you handle him outside. Think that is where most of my issues stem from.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

:If all else fails there is always Kevlar ;)
diamonds0303

Post by diamonds0303 »

hi,
sorry your having these problems. I find with sunshine, the more touching you do with her the less she wants to bite. Like sitting on your shoulder, she loves to be pet on her back and on the back of her neck, and I also try using 2 fingers and touching her beak gently....when she eats to clean the food off........or just to show her that biting is not nice! lol
hope this helps....
good luck!:)
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

diamonds0303 wrote:hi,
sorry your having these problems. I find with sunshine, the more touching you do with her the less she wants to bite. Like sitting on your shoulder, she loves to be pet on her back and on the back of her neck, and I also try using 2 fingers and touching her beak gently....when she eats to clean the food off........or just to show her that biting is not nice! lol
hope this helps....
good luck!:)
I grab Zazu's beak daily. I Can't help it. It is my little affectionate way of saying "I got your nose". He likes it. I have noticed since I started doing it he doesn't grab on so hard with his beak. I guess it is okay unless ge decides to get my nose. :O :shock:
Allie