How to deal with this kind of biting?

Moderator: Mods

amsirmans

How to deal with this kind of biting?

Post by amsirmans »

I just brought my new IRN home yesterday. He is 3 months old and was hand fed. The lady I bought him from had a lot of other different kinds of birds in the same room with Sky but he was the only IRN. She said that he liked women but was nippy with men. I later found out that he actually hated her grown son who lived with her. She also said that Sky had been acting 'weird' the last few days. Anyway I went to pick him up yesterday and he is a lunge biter! He bites EVERY chance he gets. I purchased him anyway, thinking that with time he will come around and I can work with him to stop the biting, thinking that this is the bluffing stage I've read about. Other than that he is not skittish of people or anything, he will come toward you when you walk up to the cage and such.

My main questions is how to deal with the kind of biting he was doing this morning. For example, I got up this morning and opened his cage door then sat on the couch on the other side of the room and ate my breakfast. He flew down out of the cage (sortof...his wings are clipped) to the floor and walked over to the couch and was trying to climb up where I was sitting. I talked to him and just let him do his thing for a while but never reached down for him. Then I got up and got down on my hands and knees on the floor with him and he calmly walked right over to my hand and began gnawing on my finger to the point that he drew blood. Why would he walk up to me just to bite and how do I deal with that level of biting? I wasn't trying to pick him up or reach for him or anything....just sitting there talking to him.

Also, when he does bit me, instead of just sitting there taking it (cause he won't stop or let go on his own) is it ok for me to push my hand toward him if I continue to talk to him in a sweet normal tone voice while I'm doing that?

Thanks!
Angela
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Your doing something right, by not yelling at Sky.
I don't really know, my Ring neck never bites but
i will try to figure this out. Sky might be bluffing
because the lady told you Sky was acting weird
which was biting. It could be he does not know
any better, if so then it will take time for him to
understand not to do it.

Try figuring out his favorite treat, he might be to
young to have full interest in food, well it took my
bird awhile to really bite into what i give him. Try
socializing with Sky, this is what i recommend.
You know what to do..Do what you did wen you
were talking to him as he flew to the floor. Wen
you catch Sky climbing his cage, talk to him...