All registrations must be approved by an admin. Having problems with registration? E-mail us at indianringnecks@gmail.com

Tips Of Escaping

Moderator: Mods

Post Reply
User avatar
Thomisco7
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 am
Location: West Midland
Contact:

Tips Of Escaping

Post by Thomisco7 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:06 pm

I Need Some Help

Sometime I Open Cage And Get The Bowl And Change The Food/Water Or Petting Sam But Ended Up Escaping Out Of The Cage So What I Should Do? Get Sam Back In Cage Or Leave Sam Flyin Around Non-Stop And Hitting Walls :? Because I Am Worried If Sam Can Get Injured.
<3 Sam Already :lol:

User avatar
CalamariBaby
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 am
Location: Encinitas, CA
Contact:

Post by CalamariBaby » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:21 pm

:idea: Have you thought about getting him clipped?
Allie

User avatar
Thomisco7
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 am
Location: West Midland
Contact:

Post by Thomisco7 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:26 pm

CalamariBaby wrote::idea: Have you thought about getting him clipped?

:( Dont Like it Really Because Birds Meant To Be Fly :D But I Just Want To Train Sam To Settle Down On My Play Gym But Instead Sam Is Flying Around
<3 Sam Already :lol:

User avatar
CalamariBaby
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 am
Location: Encinitas, CA
Contact:

Post by CalamariBaby » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:11 pm

I will let my boys feathers grow in eventually but I want him to need me for a while. This way we can build a bit of a connection. Then when he starts flying about he will maybe be in control a little.

But I understand where you are coming from.

BUT if he flys into walls right now a clipped birdied would be better than an injured or worse birdie. His feathers will grow back.
Allie

User avatar
bluepepe09
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Post by bluepepe09 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:10 pm

You could change your cage for one that you can access foodbowls without opening any doors.

I saw one on another thread regarding pictures of cages for about £40 that would be perfect.

Then you can control when you let him out.

Also, have you just got the ringie, because it is natural that they will bash into a few things, I got a few frights when he crashed down the back of the tv and the curtains, but he was always ok. They get used to the room quite quickly and usually find the highest place to sit.

User avatar
Thomisco7
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 am
Location: West Midland
Contact:

Post by Thomisco7 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:16 pm

you can access foodbowls without opening any doors, i got that but i am in processing to taming the Sam so i want sam to get used 2 my hand and become confident toward me, i think that tread u saw of pic is which is mine lol coz i bought it for £40
<3 Sam Already :lol:

julie
Moderator
Posts: 2243
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:07 am
Location: nsw australia

Post by julie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:39 am

I'm curious, you say you don't want to clip because Birds are meant to fly, But you don't want him flying around.
I agree with CalamariBaby post.

User avatar
Thomisco7
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 am
Location: West Midland
Contact:

Post by Thomisco7 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:25 am

julie wrote:I'm curious, you say you don't want to clip because Birds are meant to fly, But you don't want him flying around.
I agree with CalamariBaby post.
Err....But I Heard People Can Train IRN To Stay On Playgym? Because I Want To Do That

And I Am Against Of The Wing Clipping
<3 Sam Already :lol:

User avatar
bluepepe09
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Post by bluepepe09 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:26 pm

I dont really agree with wing clipping either.... but on the other hand im sure it does have its uses under certain circumstances.

Birds are meant to fly about. My ringie loves nothing more than doing laps of the room during a crazy 10 minute spree.

Im sure if you let him out for a while he will get used to the place, as I said before my ringie was down the back of the tv and speakers about 3 times when i first let him out. He was always ok and learnt pretty fast.

Can you get him to take treats and step up yet?

User avatar
U.S Marine
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 pm
Location: U.S.A

Post by U.S Marine » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Thomisco7 wrote:
CalamariBaby wrote::idea: Have you thought about getting him clipped?

:( Dont Like it Really Because Birds Meant To Be Fly :D But I Just Want To Train Sam To Settle Down On My Play Gym But Instead Sam Is Flying Around
You should get them clipped at first. My birds wings were clipped before i bought him. Know my bird is tamed. My birds wings are growing back and will stay.

Clipping the wings are a great, great plus on taming a bird.
Yet they will grow back, so no one loses!!!

courtney
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:45 am

Post by courtney » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:23 am

At first they don’t know their way around your home. Put stickers on the windows, cover the mirrors with a blanket, parrot proof your home. See if that helps. If it does great. If not you will have to clip. Im against clipping as well. Chiquita is fully flighted. However when it comes to danger and they keep ramming into things there is a point where you have to clip. Lots of cockatiels are clipped because they don’t know direction and slam into everything. Let him adjust to where things are.

Well keep putting him on the play gym, that is all you can do. Eventually he will stay there on his own. What does the play gym look like. Maybe if we see it we can see if it’s a good play gym.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

Image

User avatar
Thomisco7
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 am
Location: West Midland
Contact:

Post by Thomisco7 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:09 am

bluepepe09 wrote:Can you get him to take treats and step up yet?
Yeah She Does Take Treats Off Me But Can Step Up In Cage Only And If She Is Out, She Wont Step Up Coz Flying Non-Stop. She Getting To Adjust The Area And She Kno Where Is Cage Now :D
<3 Sam Already :lol:

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England

Post by Bella » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:47 am

I really disagree with clipping and if not done right can cripple a birds wing forever (my friends african grey cant even flap his poor wings because of a bad clipping before he came to her!!!) and most birds can still fly with their wings clipped, i have seen many injuries and deaths from a bird having their wings clipped, one ladys bird flew straight into her wall and broke his neck and died, another bird has broken bones because of a wing clip.

Unless its a matter of aggression i never agree with wing clipping and then it would need to be done by an avian vet.

To me its not worth the risk of increasing the chance of injuries, as for making it easier to tame a bird with its wings clipped :shock: i tamed my billy in a matter of months without clipping his wings and he would try and eat my face :lol: an example, if someone tied your legs together it would only increase your chance of injury and make you frustrated! Think of how our poor birds would feel. Plus it is vital for them to build up the muscles in their wings when they are young or that can lead to further problems.
Image
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)

User avatar
Thomisco7
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 am
Location: West Midland
Contact:

Post by Thomisco7 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Bella wrote:I really disagree with clipping and if not done right can cripple a birds wing forever (my friends african grey cant even flap his poor wings because of a bad clipping before he came to her!!!) and most birds can still fly with their wings clipped, i have seen many injuries and deaths from a bird having their wings clipped, one ladys bird flew straight into her wall and broke his neck and died, another bird has broken bones because of a wing clip.

Unless its a matter of aggression i never agree with wing clipping and then it would need to be done by an avian vet.

To me its not worth the risk of increasing the chance of injuries, as for making it easier to tame a bird with its wings clipped :shock: i tamed my billy in a matter of months without clipping his wings and he would try and eat my face :lol: an example, if someone tied your legs together it would only increase your chance of injury and make you frustrated! Think of how our poor birds would feel. Plus it is vital for them to build up the muscles in their wings when they are young or that can lead to further problems.
I REALLY Agree This, So I Going To Contunie Taming Her Without Clipping

P.S Cheers 4 Advice :D :) :wink:
<3 Sam Already :lol:

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England

Post by Bella » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Thomisco7 wrote:
I REALLY Agree This, So I Going To Contunie Taming Her Without Clipping

P.S Cheers 4 Advice :D :) :wink:
Its probably best to let your baby have a little fly around and to explore their home then they will be calmer once they know their surrounding :D
Image
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)

courtney
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:45 am

Post by courtney » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:37 am

To me its not worth the risk of increasing the chance of injuries, as for making it easier to tame a bird with its wings clipped i tamed my billy in a matter of months without clipping his wings and he would try and eat my face an example, if someone tied your legs together it would only increase your chance of injury and make you frustrated! Think of how our poor birds would feel. Plus it is vital for them to build up the muscles in their wings when they are young or that can lead to further problems.
Exactly. I trained all my birds fully flighted. Wild IRN's as a matter of fact so it can be done. Unless there is a danger to them I feel wing clipping takes a lot of their natural instincts. You take away a part of them. This is just my opinion and everyone has their own. So what ever works for you.


Im happy that her direction is good now and she knows her way around. It's amazing to see them fly. I still really love to see my baby fly. She whips past my head like no tomorrow. So all it took was a bit of time to get adjusted.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

Image

User avatar
U.S Marine
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 pm
Location: U.S.A

Post by U.S Marine » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:11 am

Bella wrote:
Thomisco7 wrote:
I REALLY Agree This, So I Going To Contunie Taming Her Without Clipping

P.S Cheers 4 Advice :D :) :wink:
Its probably best to let your baby have a little fly around and to explore their home then they will be calmer once they know their surrounding :D
That can work, Bella. But what some can't see is that keeping them as pets is bad enough, why not get a first and last wing clip. It helps alot.

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England

Post by Bella » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:13 pm

U.S Marine wrote:
Bella wrote:
Thomisco7 wrote:
I REALLY Agree This, So I Going To Contunie Taming Her Without Clipping

P.S Cheers 4 Advice :D :) :wink:
Its probably best to let your baby have a little fly around and to explore their home then they will be calmer once they know their surrounding :D
That can work, Bella. But what some can't see is that keeping them as pets is bad enough, why not get a first and last wing clip. It helps alot.
Its hard because at that age its so crutial that they gain strength in their wings so as not cause further problems. With them being so young its alot easier than an older bird you just need to put in that extra bit of work :D
Image
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)

Post Reply