Rehomed pair of IRNs, feral behavior

Moderator: Mods

lynce

Rehomed pair of IRNs, feral behavior

Post by lynce »

I've just rescued a pair(male+female) of IRNs from a neighbor's house. Apparently, he's had them for a week and couldn't handle them. Unfortunately, he caged them in a really really small cage(read : TINY) for the past week and their living conditions are horrible. Their miniscule cage was neck deep with feces and decayed food and the stench was unbelievable. So I had to get them out of that place.

Now I need some advice on how to proceed with these birds. They are scared and do not come out of their cage. I've managed to somehow drain the feces and decayed food from the cage but am still worried that they could be infected and I do not know if there are avian vets in my city. How do I get them to come out of the cage without biting me(they are very aggresive)? And if they come out, should I dispose of this cage as I have a much larger cage which would allow them room for exercise?

I have a hand-reared IRN(1.5 yrs old, no idea whether male or female) and he/she is uncaged and extremely friendly and lovable. So I do have some experience with an IRN. Any help would be much appreciated.
bluepepe09

Post by bluepepe09 »

Hi,

Yes I would definately move them as a first stage and give them some clean food a shallow dish of water for them to clean themselves.

If the conditions are as bad as you say get them out into a clean cage with fresh food and water as soon as possible.

Get them to a vat as soon as you can to get them checked, preferrably an avian vet, but a normal vet may suffuce. Unfortunately you will need to put them back in a small box/cage to take them to the vet, or they may get hurt if they flap their wings in a big cage, put some food and water in if it is a long journey....BUT i wouldnt use the old cage again. Dispose of it.

Try and work out a stress free method for transferring them between the cages, i woudnt try and handle them just now if you can get away with it youll get bit and stress them out, and a towel would freak them out even more, you need to try and build trust with them slowly.

If you can get the small cage into the big one and let them go over themselves then great. If not then maybe put the doors very close and see if they will go over.

Good luck. Keep us posted as to how you get on.
bluepepe09

Post by bluepepe09 »

And I just saw on the internet that madras has a veterinary college. So will most probably have a suitable vet.
julie

Post by julie »

does your neighbor know you have them, or did you just take them ?
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Isn't this posted twice? What is going on..
lynce

Post by lynce »

No, I haven't posted twice. This is only my second post here.

@julie: The previous owner couldn't care less. He was happy that he was rid of them. I took them with his knowledge. I believe that they wouldn't have survived much longer.

@bluepepe: Thanks for the advice. I put the small cage inside the bigger cage and they happily hopped out into their new home. I think they're happy they're not in that torture chamber anymore. And I had a proper look at the birds for the first time. Their feathers are damaged and their tail feathers are broken off. Anyway, I put in some clean water and allowed them to clean themselves up. They've gone through a lot and it will be hard emotionally and they will take time to adjust I think.
It's still too early to handle them. They are in fact extremely scared of human contact. There's no way the cage is going to fit in my car(its too wide), so I don't know how to put them in a box to take them to a vet.

Now looking at these new birds, I have a question with respect to my baby IRN Keira. My new IRNs gobble up so much food, they're really little hogs and Keira doesn't eat even a fourth of what they eat. Should I be concerned? Keira gets a lot of exercise and is uncaged.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

lynce wrote:No, I haven't posted twice. This is only my second post here.

@julie: The previous owner couldn't care less. He was happy that he was rid of them. I took them with his knowledge. I believe that they wouldn't have survived much longer.

@bluepepe: Thanks for the advice. I put the small cage inside the bigger cage and they happily hopped out into their new home. I think they're happy they're not in that torture chamber anymore. And I had a proper look at the birds for the first time. Their feathers are damaged and their tail feathers are broken off. Anyway, I put in some clean water and allowed them to clean themselves up. They've gone through a lot and it will be hard emotionally and they will take time to adjust I think.
It's still too early to handle them. They are in fact extremely scared of human contact. There's no way the cage is going to fit in my car(its too wide), so I don't know how to put them in a box to take them to a vet.

Now looking at these new birds, I have a question with respect to my baby IRN Keira. My new IRNs gobble up so much food, they're really little hogs and Keira doesn't eat even a fourth of what they eat. Should I be concerned? Keira gets a lot of exercise and is uncaged.
Sorry about that. Keira is a baby, this is your chance to learn from Keira. Keira is just prob younger and does not know of days without food, those two Ring necks prob went days without food. Keira should be fine.
lynce

Post by lynce »

Its been about two months now. Mike and Lola have settled in quite well. They love their new aviary. They're still very shy. Mike has mustered enough courage to step up onto my finger. Lola is still far from anything of that sort. Their plumage has come back, they show healthy colour now and I'm very happy.

But I am still puzzled as they never eat when I am in sight. They eat only when no humans are around. Is there something I should do to help them get over that?

Keira has turned out to be male. He's got half his ring already. I feel guilty now for naming him Keira. Keira loves playing with Mike but hates the aviary. Lola's pretty hostile towards him and tries to bite him if he's near. He's a spoilt little brat though, never leaves my shoulder. I have a special perch for him in my room as he will not enter the aviary. He's still eating very little though.

I shall post some photos soon. Wow, I can't believe I have three IRN's now!
bec

Post by bec »

bless you for saving these bavies from such a bad home!!!
about the not eating im front of you i have one irn like that too!!!
have you tried eating in front of them? for some reason the seem to take this as a sign that things are safe
i try to take a platter of fruit into the bird room once a day & "share my food with them"
trust me it works
as for kiera dont feel guilty about his name he doesnt know its usually a girls name
and there is a charactor in my daughters favourite cartton who is a boy named kiera
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Great to hear of the progress you have made with your rescues.

Always sad when people treat their pets like the previous owner. :cry:

Would be great to see updated photos of them now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the birds not eating in front of you.
My birds all stop what they are doing when I enter the room and ALL of them have the "it wasn't me, it was him" look on their faces. Then continue with what they were doing before I rudely interupted them. :D :D
bec

Re: Rehomed pair of IRNs, feral behavior

Post by bec »

pinkdevil i know what you mean with the
"it wasnt me look"
im getting that from riku every time he escapes from his cage!!!
i also get the what food did you bring for me? look
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Well done for taking those birds of that heartless man! Im so happy they are settling in well with you. Your a champion for giving them a 2nd chance at life! Hang in there. Because theyve been mistreated before they might be a less trusting. Poor lil birds! Id take your time with them. Mikes already stepped onto your finger. Thats a start! Spend time with them each day. Let them set the pace.
Your Lola sounds like shes a lil protective of her man, Mike, when Keira is around. If you Lola is anything like my Lola, Id be careful with Keira around. My Lolas not afraid to put my male in his place with a snap. lol.
Congrads on the Kiera being a boy too! :wink:
Can you see that Keira is infact eating while your out of sight and is putting on weight? He might be eating when your not looking. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
bec

Post by bec »

how are your guys going?
lynce

Post by lynce »

Im finding it very difficult to type this right now.

Mike and Lola joined us around 5 months ago. Along with Keira, they have given us immense joy and taught us to love. It was a very progressive 5 months. From being extremely scared birds in tattered feathers, they had come a long way. Mike had learnt to trust us a bit and would step onto my finger. They meant so much to us, especially to my dad. He works mostly from home now so that Keira can cuddle up and sleep on his shoulder. He set up the aviary for Mike and Lola and was overjoyed to have them in our family.

Three days ago, and I type this with a very heavy heart, Lola found her freedom. I had opened the aviary's door in the morning to feed Mike and Lola. It was a sudden act by Lola. She just flew out of the cage and flew out of the window right away. She flew to a nearby tree which itself houses a few ringnecks. That was the last I saw of her after she disappeared among them. I left the aviary open for a very long time to see if Mike wanted to follow Lola. He did not follow her. And ever since then, we've been in pain. Every time Mike tries to call Lola, my eyes well up with tears. I cannot bear to see him cry and moan. He did not eat that day. All of this has also taken a toll on my dad. He's off work for the week now. Keira had earlier almost given him a mighty scare when he flew away while seated on his shoulder. My dad followed his flight and found him sitting on a rooftop a few houses away. Since then, dad's always tried to keep Keira inside the house. And now, with Lola gone, he is very sad.

Mike does not trust me anymore now. A very silent bird earlier, he keeps calling out now. The only thing I can do now is get Mike a new companion. I do not know whether he will adjust to living with a new partner. I know these birds are very emotional creatures and I do not want to mess up their well-being.

Im sorry I haven't posted pictures of them. I could never ever get them to pose for a pic. They always found the camera intimidating and would frantically fly around. I do have a few pics of Keira though. He's almost two years old now and has a bright orangish nape, the black part of the ring has not come out yet.

Keira - 6 months old and wet after a bath

Keira - a few days back

I will try to snap some of Mike, but that will be close to impossible now. I still keep some food out to see if Lola responds to Mike's calls and comes. I did hear a couple of return calls to Mike's screeches. But they flew away as soon as I tried to view anything. I hope Lola enjoys her freedom.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Im so sorry your Lola has escaped on you.So sad when we lose one of our loved pets.
Especially in tour case---rescueing them the way you did.Im sure she loved being with you but i guess she is also enjoying her freedom.
bec

Post by bec »

im so sorry!!!
i know how you feel thats exactly how i lost my orchid!!
i get mike a new girl if you can my kieron is the same he goes so quiet & sad with out a mate im saving up for a new girl for him right now
kiera is a total cutie bug !!!!