Afraid to ask-

Moderator: Mods

trigger_happie

Afraid to ask-

Post by trigger_happie »

Age old topic; to clip or not to clip.

OK, I am raising an Alexandrine, he's ~12 weeks, and I've raised him since he was out of the nest box.. Trigger (named after Willie Nelsons guitar), is weaning and has been flying for nearly two weeks, he's all but completely given up on baby food, and was just introduced to his new (very big) cage today.

Here's where the question is; I can't keep him off my kitchen cabinets! The only time he comes down is if I get him down, and he's perfectly OK staying up there all day! I don't know what to do! Do I clip his wing so I can have more control over his ADD (kidding), or do I let him go where he wants? The issue is that he is becoming distant since he has the freedom to go where he wants, and quite frankly, it's a real pain in the 'foot' to get him down (literally hurt my food today when I slipped off the stool trying to get him down) :| :-s :(

I get mixed reviews when reading other posts, some people say to clip for safety reasons, but others argue to keep them flighted for safety reasons. I hear that clipping their wings keeps them tame and dependent, but I also hear leaving them flighted makes for a happier bird. I can't win here people :-\

Conversly, I have read that if you are going to clip their wings, that there is a window of opportunity to do so during the fleding stage (that he is in now); leave them flighted long enough to learn, and within two weeks, clip them.

I really just want someone to share some educated insight that might help me decide. I joined another *ahem* forum recently, and my responses were less than insightful. This isn't my first rodeo :D
Texlady

Re: Afraid to ask-

Post by Texlady »

I haven't seen any recent posts on this site, but I'm new to Ringnecks too.