WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!

Moderator: Mods

sherry

WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!

Post by sherry »

I am so sad, guilty and angry at myself. My IRN was starting to trust me a little more I have only had him for 6 months, but he is about 3 years old and has been neglected. I am his third owner. My IRN was starting to come onto my chest for treats and my legs-still fearful of my hand. Well today, I took him to the vet to get his wnigs trimmed. My normal one was not there so it was another one who was I felt was unsure of herself. Well that was stress number one for the day. I decided at home I would try some more indepth training on the T-stand to get him to step up. All he would do is fly off the cage on land on the floor-since his wings were clipped. I guess I stressed him out because he ran trying to hide and I kept picking him up with the towel. I tried a few more times and realized that he was stressing something awful. Now I have noticed that he is not as vocal anymore. He will still take treats from my hand but will not come out of his cage, even when I bring the other birds around. :( I am in tears as I am writing this. He seems to just went inside of himself and it is all my fault! I was using one of my Chet Womach BIRD TRICKS.COM videos that I bought some years ago. Can I ever gain my bird's trust again? :( :( I am so sorry !!!!! :( :( He deserves a to be able to have a friend and I only wanted to get him tame so that I can spend more time with him and he can be with the other birds. I am so sorry!!! :( :(

I need some advice-Sherry :(
bec

Post by bec »

give him some time & dont push him irns can sometime handle change badly and having a strange vet could be all the change needed for him to freak out
we had a similar problem with skeet after evacuating from the bushfires when we returned home it was still too smokie for the birds so they stayed at my friends house
they had fight in the room skeet was in when i got there that night she was a mess!!!!!!! (emotionally)
so i took her home
she was a different bird scared to come out of her cage screaming if i left her
and then to top it off she was alone in her cage when the earthquake hit so she seemed to come to the conclusion if i left her sight bad things would happen
as time went by she gradually calmed back down and became the funny little bird ive loved all her life
your bird knows how lucky he is to have a loving caring owner like you hes seen the hard stuff & know hes got it good now he WILL CALM DOWN GIVEN TIME!!!!!!!! you may have to go through gaining his trust again but it will be worth it

keep us posted
Thomisco7

Re: WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!

Post by Thomisco7 »

sherry wrote: I guess I stressed him out because he ran trying to hide and I kept picking him up with the towel. I tried a few more times and realized that he was stressing something awful.
I must say dont use towel coz it is scary for bird if u throw towel on the bird because it is massive and fluffy n scary, and how u will feel if u were bird and u get towel on you.

i got to say you can get his trust back if you keeping giving treat in the cage but move back bit to cage door then it will come then it will come out because it need time to gain your trust again so be paitence :D
<3 Sam Already :lol:
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Relax, i promise your bird will be
the way he was before you clipped
him. It will take time, give it days
or weeks. 8)
sherry

re: Oh My God

Post by sherry »

You were right, he is starting to return to normal. Pacman-that's his name is taking food out of my hand again, coming out of his cage, and playing with the other birds. He is even coming back on my lap again. What a guy!!! :P I feel so much better.

Sherry
Thomisco7

Re: re: Oh My God

Post by Thomisco7 »

sherry wrote:You were right, he is starting to return to normal. Pacman-that's his name is taking food out of my hand again, coming out of his cage, and playing with the other birds. He is even coming back on my lap again. What a guy!!! :P I feel so much better.

Sherry
BRILLIANT :D I am so pleased for you :D
<3 Sam Already :lol:
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

BRILLIANT :shock:
courtney

Post by courtney »

This happened to me as well. We clipped Chiquita’s nails and for one whole week she ignored me. I don’t think she was scared but down right mad at me. She screamed the whole time we were clipping the nails in a psychotic scream. I will never clip the nails again. I don’t want to put her threw that again. These things can be very traumatic and stressful to birds. Especially if they are new. Chiquita is free flying so I don’t have to clip her wings and Im glad about that, 8)
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

courtney

Post by courtney »

This happened to me as well. We clipped Chiquita’s nails and for one whole week she ignored me. I don’t think she was scared but down right mad at me. She screamed the whole time we were clipping the nails in a psychotic scream. After she would not go on my head anymore or shoulder, she used to climb on my arms down to my hands and help me type and use the mouse and she still will not do that.

It will take time.

I will never clip the nails again. I don’t want to put her threw that again.

These things can be very traumatic and stressful to birds. Especially if they are new. Chiquita is free flying so I don’t have to clip her wings and Im glad about that,
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

julie

Post by julie »

U.S Marine wrote:Relax, i promise your bird will be
the way he was before you clipped
him. It will take time, give it days
or weeks. 8)
yep , normally just when the wings are starting to grow back.
Indie wont talk to me if I'm the one holding him while he is getting clipped.
Try getting him to step up onto your hand from the floor if he takes off, they do kinda bite your hand first to make sure its stable.
sherry

re:

Post by sherry »

Pacman is still scared of my hand and will bite or run if I come near him without my hand unless I have food in it. I am trying to get him hand-tamed using food. He is also scared of sticks so I do not use them.
bec

Post by bec »

food is a good way to tame especially for little piggy birds like irns :lol:
the foods ive found get the best results are air dried popcorn & brocoli
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Sometimes birds don't bite they just feel, they use there
tongue to feel things.