Way over my head

Moderator: Mods

elozzy1979

Way over my head

Post by elozzy1979 »

Good morning everyone,
I’m new to this sight and just got my first bird ever. His name is Larry Bird and he’s an Indian Ringneck. But I purchased him from a older gentleman that kept him outside in a cage. Larry is five years old and has never had any human interaction. I’m trying my hardest to get him to trust me, but as of now no luck. Sometimes I feel like I’m way over my head on this, but I don’t want to quit with him. If I can get any pointers on what I can do or what I should watch for, they will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all
sanjays mummi

Re: Way over my head

Post by sanjays mummi »

Trust takes time, especially in an aviary bird, they are semi feral. You start off by sitting beside the cage, eat your meals there, he will become curious, and come down to see if there is a morsel for him, you offer treats through the bars too. He may never accept hands, my bird is nine this year, and will climb on to my arm, or back, but Never trusts hands. Patience is your greatest ally, and time.
elozzy1979

Re: Way over my head

Post by elozzy1979 »

Thank you so much for your help. He does take apples from my hand, but nothing else. Thank you so much for your help.