Why does my IRN keep biting me?

Moderator: Mods

ange_t79

Why does my IRN keep biting me?

Post by ange_t79 »

:cry:

My Indian Ringneck is very aggressive when anyone goes near his cage. His pupals go in and out and then he lunges at people with his beak open. His bites can be very aggressive and has been known to break skin. Once he is out of the cage and I hold him he doesn't even try to bite and lets me pat his head. Its only when he is in his cage or on top of his cage that he tries to bite.

Any ideas!!! I need help.
wrynsmom

Biting birdie

Post by wrynsmom »

I have the same problem with my husband's IRN. I coax her out with a treat or just leave the cage door open and wait for her to emerge. As soon as she's out, I can pick her up.
Fah

Post by Fah »

I wouldnt ever expect a bird to let you do whatever you want inside its cage, its really up to the individual bird to decide how friendly it wants to be inside.

You have to remember, often in the entire house, its cage is the only true place it knows is their territory, its safe, and since its in an enclosure, the only defensive action it can take is to bite.

This is quite common with younger birds (under 3 yrs) but can stay that way as they age. Some species never change this behaviour at all.
ange_t79

Post by ange_t79 »

My IRN is only 6 months old so hopefully it will grow out of it. I guess I just have to be patient but should I keep persisting and trying to get it out of the cage. I read somewhere if I just ignore the behaviour it will eventually stop but its very difficult to ignore when it is attacking my arm. Lately I've just made sure I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt and have been ignoring the biting because I can't find any other way to get it out of the cage and I want it to remain tame.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Time..Is the medicine. :shock: :lol:
Thomisco7

Post by Thomisco7 »

Possibly he going through bluffing stage also if i were you i put my hand in and try get ur bird step up if he lunge at you just ingore it and don't flinch coz lunginig is for defence. i no lunging is painful and it can hurt your finger but i have lots of mark on my hand by having budgie attack me. also u will outgrow of it or use glove if it really painful.

hope this help you

:D
<3 Sam Already :lol:
courtney

Post by courtney »

He is guarding his territory. Male ringnecks are extremely territorial and try to dominate. My IRN Rascal was like that. He used to slam his beak when ever I walked by the cage and scream at me. He may be going threw the bluffing stage. Just ignore it.

To be honest some IRN’s are just going to be aggressive no matter what you do. You just have to learn how to deal with that behavior and never give in to it. Some are just bluffing.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.